LegacyGT.com

Gas Milage... I searched.

Just took a trip to NC from So Indiana. Keeping a pace of 65-95 mph through flats and mountains i managed 23.3, computer said i managed 25.6. I'm sure if i kept my rpm's out of the turbo's range it would go up to about 26 or so. Under my normal driving however i average about 20-23. I get a lil lower when i'm in a playful mood which means keeping it above 3500 rpms at all times...even sitting at the red lights...well maybe not at the red lights.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Keefe speaks the troof! Tire pressure really does make a difference- I didn't believe it until I messed with it on a car about 5 years ago.

thanks for all the input folks...

A. Yes these are all calculated MPG not going by the trip computer (I'll type out a decent list of milages and consumption in the next day or two)

B. I'm not leadfooted but I'm not light footed AT ALL

C. I check the tire pressure pretty regularly and keep it at around 30 front and 32 rear.

D. I switched to synthetic oil a while back and plan on doing the same for the trans and rearend at the next oil change.

E. Originally the car would soot up the rear tailgate in a matter of miles... The first day I got it I washed it and drove under 20miles to my buddies work and the tailgate was peppered with soot. I haven't had a chance to get a solid cleaning done to it since I got it back from the dealer to see if it's still dumping soot out the back like a stack pipe. but the milage has gotten worse instead of better. and my driving habits have not chancged that much.

Xenok-

thanks for your help and suggestions...

Just FYI I'm aware of using the proper throttle position depending on engine load... I barely ever went past 1/2 throttle ever on my civic because it performed better without blindly dumping fuel in.

There are times (few and far between) where my subaru drives like I think it should... hardly any throttle produces decent enough forward momentum... but the majority of the time to even keep the car moving I am FORCED to really put my foot down... Also the car as almost NO drivability under 2500 rpm... you can feel the engine bucking and it struggling to keep the AWD turning...

I'm fairly convinced at this point that there is a serious problem with my car that the dealer is trying to avoid dealing with... only I don't have the time to diagnose it myself much less the time to let them give me the run around.

Even if I was flooring the car everywhere... how could I possibly be getting GT milage, much less WORSE than GT milage?

C. I check the tire pressure pretty regularly and keep it at around 30 front and 32 rear.

Lower tire pressure will affect your MPG for the worse. Try running the tires at the suggested pressure and see if it helps. Any particular reason you're running it so low?

John

actually, the OEM tire pressure on the RE92s are 32 front, 29 rear for 215/45/17. So that's typical. Are you running 10w40 or 5w30 for motor oil? Another thing you can do is purge the ECU to get it off it's "advanced timing" horse (re-break in the car a little bit to get it to lower timing settings).. since you are running a 2.5i, what octane fuel are you using? I am sure you can get away with just burning mid-grade since your engine isn't going to compress at 11.0:1 ratio (it's lower than that, something like 10.2:1) so you can get away with a mid-grade gas to make it run smoother with less advanced timing.

It's hard to diagnose because your CEL light didnt pop up with something like "too high of exhuast gas temp" or something like that so that the ECU can pull back on timing and fuel. Yeah, the stock ECU is pretty smart enough to do that. Today's ECUs have enough "fuzzy logic" and "driver learning curve" to adapt to driver needs. 1 good example is when I had a test on 3 WRXs of which all three had the same mods. Two WRXs that were driven harder and with more miles came out with 10 whp more on the same dyno and same day/same 2 hours than the 3rd WRX. The 3rd WRX was driven with less miles and less spirit, but the mileage was a bit better than the other two WRXs. This test was a personal test when my cousin, my brother and I all had bought WRXs (same batch/shipment) on the same day and dyno tested all on the same day a month later.

Keefe

Keefe

I'm fairly convinced at this point that there is a serious problem with my car that the dealer is trying to avoid dealing with... only I don't have the time to diagnose it myself much less the time to let them give me the run around.

Even if I was flooring the car everywhere... how could I possibly be getting GT milage, much less WORSE than GT milage?

I'm with you on that one. From your description, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything that would warrant such poor gas mileage. It doesn't say what your location is in your profile. I noticed today that when I drove with the engine cold, my gas mileage was pretty much cut in half. But, since its the mpg estimator, I take it with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, loafing at 1500rpm in fourth gear at 30mph, when the engine was warm the instant mpg would be around 30 mpg. When the engine was cold, it was 10-15 mpg. Its definitely a YMMV situation, but I figured it was worth putting out there.

thanks for all the input folks...

E. Originally the car would soot up the rear tailgate in a matter of miles... The first day I got it I washed it and drove under 20miles to my buddies work and the tailgate was peppered with soot. I haven't had a chance to get a solid cleaning done to it since I got it back from the dealer to see if it's still dumping soot out the back like a stack pipe. but the milage has gotten worse instead of better. and my driving habits have not chancged that much.

Soot???????? That can't possibly be good.

Again... thanks to all for the responses.

I will adjust the tire pressure... My numbers for whatever reason are backwards... 32 front and 30 rear... I will adjust to 35fr/32rear.

I run Mobil 1 5-30 oil.

Sunoco 94 gas

I actually filled up last night and drove basically nothing but highway and the computer is still telling me 24 or so.

I live in CT so it is cold and most of the area's I'm in are hilly...

I do warm it up before I drive ALL the time... although only till the temp needle lifts off it's resting position... then I keep the RPM's under 3k till it's fully warm from driving.

Here's the breakdown for the last 3 fill ups.

13.627G @ 275.7 mi. = 20.231892566228810449842224994496

13.654G @ 243.4 mi. = 17.826278013768858942434451442801

13.540G @ 273.7 mi. = 20.214180206794682422451994091581

Now seriously... even if I'm flooring it everywhere... is this even possible given a properly running NA 2.5???

that sounds about right for city driving.. it's also due to the colder weather and possibly the elevation that maybe robbing you of your mileage. More air = more power, but more power needs more fuel, more fuel, possibly more timing added all across the curve (aka the "multiplier) for more power.. you get the picture. I wonder what kind of power you are making to the wheels with your 2.5i.. that might be an answer in there somewhere.

Keefe

Keefe

That sounds right for city?

I'm at sealevel so no elevation to consider...

The week where I got 17 was definately due to drastically cold weather and me warming it up almost fully every day...

but still 20 as an average for city is awful... the dealer admitted there MUST be something wrong with it when I told them that it was getting 24... much less 20.

As far as the HP... I should check there is an AWD dyno place right near me http://www.pruvenperformance.com/

but they're pretty expensive and I don't really feel like dynoing my base model... although I may do it before I mod anything to get an idea of gains.

But with milage like that it better be around 200 to the wheels.lol.

but still 20 as an average for city is awful... the dealer admitted there MUST be something wrong with it when I told them that it was getting 24... much less 20.

um...I am averaging about 16 for city. I would kill for 20!

Here's what I'm running... 2.5i base model, 4EAT, all stock, 85 octane winter fuel (87 octane is considered mid-grade around here), Denver altitude of about 5,200 ft, and roughly 90/10 city/highway driving. Car only has 1,300 miles and my avg mpg is about 19-21.

Maybe my low numbers are from running 85 octane? Or maybe I just need to get on the freeway more often :)

How long is your daily warm-up vs. the length of your commute? If you idle 5 minutes to warm it up & then drive 10 minutes to work, 1/3 of your time is spent getting 0 mpg, which will skew your mileage numbers quite a bit.

I've got a 2.5i wagon with 5spd, getting 23-25mpg on a 13 mile commute in traffic with temps below 0F. But I only warm the car up about 10 seconds before I start driving. By the time the temp guage moves I'm already down the road a bunch.

--Mike

Archived