LegacyGT.com

AWD fuse

so i decided to get all my paper work in a file to keep it organized and i noticed one paper that i got from the dealer that said a web site called mysubaru.com. Its a website that helps you keep track of maintenance and a bunch of other things. You have to register to get to all the information but it is a great site at least i think so. Anyway looking at some of the maintenance schedules and reading a few other things i came across this that i thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think.........

If your vehicle is AWD (All-Wheel Drive) with an automatic

transmission and the temporary spare tire has been installed, put a

spare fuse (15 amp) inside the FWD (Front-Wheel Drive) fuse holder

(refer to your owner's manual for location). Confirm that the

Front-Wheel Drive (FWD) warning light comes on before you drive the

car. Installation of this fuse deactivates AWD to prevent possible

damage to the drivetrain components that can result due to the use of

the smaller temporary spare tire. After re-installing the conventional

tire, remove the fuse from the FWD fuse holder to restore AWD

operation.

AWD requires all tires to be the same size and inflated to the same pressure.

The spare tire is of smaller size, which would cause it to rotate at a faster velocity then the rest. The AWD system would attempt to correct this problem by redirecting power to the other tires.

If you have a blow out SUBARU recommends you put the spare tire on the back, and disengage the AWD system by completing the FWD circuit. The circuit charges a solenoid that disengages the rear differential from the transmission.

This procedure will prevent the over compensation from taking place, and allow the rear differential to operate independantly from the transmission.

Other then that I don't really know if you have a more detatiled question.

Are you having trouble with your AWD system?

AWD requires all tires to be the same size and inflated to the same pressure.

The spare tire is of smaller size, which would cause it to rotate at a faster velocity then the rest. The AWD system would attempt to correct this problem by redirecting power to the other tires.

If you have a blow out SUBARU recommends you put the spare tire on the back, and disengage the AWD system by completing the FWD circuit. The circuit charges a solenoid that disengages the rear differential from the transmission.

This procedure will prevent the over compensation from taking place, and allow the rear differential to operate independantly from the transmission.

Other then that I don't really know if you have a more detatiled question.

Are you having trouble with your AWD system?

im not having any issues just thought that would have been nice if the dealer told me that. And if subaru thought this was going to cause issues with the AWD why didnt they just make a full spare. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway thanks

Going a short distance with mismatched tires is okay.

You may run into problems down the line with the front or rear diff if the car is driven a very long distance, or consistently with a mismatched size of tire.

Also, its a 55 mph donut, designed to be used to take you from A to B. It's not a friggin permanent replacement.

I can't stand seeing people speeding by me at about 80 with one of those on.

• 1 year later...

Archived