LegacyGT.com

Problem with AWD

I just bought a '96 Subaru Legacy GT Automatic, and I have worked out most of the bugs.

The AWD has some problems maybe someone can help with.

The car feels like it is slipping into and out of gear especially around corners. I put a fuse in the FWD line, and the problem no longer exists with AWD disengaged.

I am now thinking, and believe the tire pressure could be low. I would be shocked that tire pressure could cause such a major problem.

I was told to try adding some limited slip treatment to the transmission fluid and do circles and figure eights. Does anyone have any suggestions.

What could be the problem?

I appreciate your replies.

I just bought a '96 Subaru Legacy GT Automatic, and I have worked out most of the bugs.

The AWD has some problems maybe someone can help with.

The car feels like it is slipping into and out of gear especially around corners. I put a fuse in the FWD line, and the problem no longer exists with AWD disengaged.

I am now thinking, and believe the tire pressure could be low. I would be shocked that tire pressure could cause such a major problem.

I was told to try adding some limited slip treatment to the transmission fluid and do circles and figure eights. Does anyone have any suggestions.

What could be the problem?

I appreciate your replies.

Sounds like the tranny might be dying. How severe is the slip?

Does the tranny slip a couple hundred RPMs then catch or does the sucker go to redline before something happens.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

It slips even at slow speeds, and I am talking a crawling speed. Then it gets worse in any degree of a turn, and worse when turning sharp.

I don't understand why it would not be an issue when AWD is disengaged.

Because all mechanical equipment is still in use, being rear differential and drive line.

Could it be the computer, or the fact that the tires are very low pressure.

From what i understand when i put the fuse in the FWD line it charges a solenoid in the front differential that disengages the rear differential.

I think if it was transmission, then the problem would still be present even though I disengaged the rear drive line.

I believe it has to do with a bad bearing, brake, or under inflated tire causing the AWD system attempting to compensate, or a bad computer.

I understand AWD systems use a slipping differential controlled by computer run hydrolic system, but unsure exactly how.

I believe any faults in this system would cause the OBD 2 to pick up the error.

If it was w bad wheel, bearing, or brake no sensor would be alerted, the AWD system would assume the fault was caused by a loss of traction, and there for attempt to compensate causeing the slip.

Anyone agree with me, or have any other Ideas

check the other thread you posted about this. I posted up some suggestions of what the problem is. Transfer bind related and you could be looking at transfer clutches.

Also when you have bad transfer clutches, the cel will not come on.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived