LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Blown at 5,878 Miles

UPDATE: I called and found out that they milled my heads because they were not straight. I will not accept this so my fight has started. SOA are some cheap SOB's.

Back on Christmas day it was about 5 Degrees above zero here. I started My 05 Legacy GT up and it studdered and died. I started it again and it died once more. I tried again and as it tried to die I pushed down on the pedal to make it run. After it ran a few seconds it acted fine. We drove to visit some family about 30 minutes away. After pulling off of the Interstate I smelled coolant. I checked it and the level was fine.

Since that day my wife and myself have smelled coolant at different times ans experienced the starting problem on a few occasions. I took it into the dealer about the starting problem before we noticed the coolant smell the second time. Nothing was found to be wrong with it. I also had the oil changed at about 4000 miles at the dealership.

In the mean time the coolant smell has become more common so I scheduled a visit to the dealer on Saturday Feb 5th. It smelled of coolant when I arrived at the dealership. After the mechanic checked it out I was asked to come into the garage and see the problem.

It appeared as though coolant was spraying from around the lower radiator hose where it attaches to the block. The mechanic stated that they reved it up until the coolant began to spray out. So they checked the coolant tank and pressure was circulating from the engine.

They kept my car and gave me an Outback loaner(NON-Turbo which sucks). They wanted the regional wrranty guy to take a look at it today. I was then informed that one of the head gaskets is blown and they want to fix it. I am not happy with this due to the mileage and the fact that coolant may have gotten into the oil. They do not know how much damage there is at this time and wont know until friday at the earliest.

I have already called SOA and started a claim. I dont think slapping a new gasket on the engine is going to make me happy. This is a heads up for everyone out there. It seems that they say this is the first Head Gasket they have had a problem with.

Matt

Don't mean to trivialize your problem, but our 2000 LGT wagon had a coolant smell in cold weather, without any symptoms of coolant in oil or vice versa. There was coolant trace around a radiator hose as well as the top of the radiator tank. Radiator tank was replaced under warranty and it's been fine for 2 years. The top is just crimped into place and was weak enough to leak under pressure. It's best to rule this out before going into the head.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I blew my head gasket on MY04 WRX with only 20K miles on it. The radiator "drylocked", causing a fast spike in tempature.

The short story" The dealer said they were not going to cover it since I had Samco radiator hoses and intercooler hoses. It was a big hassle. I called SOA and fought with them and the dealer. The dealer ended up putting in the subaru coolant fluid sealant they have. It worked for the time. My car ended up getting hit in my dorm parking lot this last summer, bent the frame and total the car. I guess it worked out because now I drive a 05 Legacy. But, I have to worn those out there wanting to go crazy on the aftermarket parts.

Don't mean to trivialize your problem, but our 2000 LGT wagon had a coolant smell in cold weather, without any symptoms of coolant in oil or vice versa. There was coolant trace around a radiator hose as well as the top of the radiator tank. Radiator tank was replaced under warranty and it's been fine for 2 years. The top is just crimped into place and was weak enough to leak under pressure. It's best to rule this out before going into the head.

The dealer has already stated that it is blown. With the pressure from the engine blowing through the cooling system there is a leak.

Guest *Jedimaster*
How long was it driven with a blown head gasket? Try and get a smaple of the oil in the crankcase for analysis. If it's found to be full of coolant, tell them to shove the quick fix and get you a new engine or a new car!

How long was it driven with a blown head gasket? Try and get a smaple of the oil in the crankcase for analysis. If it's found to be full of coolant, tell them to shove the quick fix and get you a new engine or a new car!

I would love to but the dealership is located about 150 miles away from my house. I am going to ask them if they will get me a sample but then i have to worry whether they are giving me a sample from my car or someone else's. I am hoping for a new engine and that is what I am pushing for.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Might be worth going to the dealer, asking to see your car and getting the oil yourself. I don't trust the stealership with anything.

Did anyone notice their car having a white sticker placed under the hood on the radiator support to the right jand side just off center. I inquired about this with a Subaru Tech and he said it was placed on their at the port when the vehicle arrived in this country. It was probably a notice that they were adding some speacial sealant to the coolant ie. Bars Leaks. He mentioned that some of the first 05's had problems with external coolant leaks from between the block and cylinder heads.

As a side note I was asking him this at the same time I was complaining that theu overfilled my engine on the first oil change. I know that LGT's dipsticks are sometimes hard to get a good reading. Mine was definatley overfilled, possibly a quart or so. They admitted it and drained out a quart, did not even offer me a free oil change. Grrrrr.

Bleeding air from the Legacy cooling system..Whenever you refill a Legacy cooling system,make certain that you bleed out all the air,or the result could be SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE.The following is an alternative to the method in the service manaul...1 Make sure the drain is closed that the two engine drain plugs are properly installed.2Remove the radiator cap,radiator vent plug,and reserve tank cap,then disconnect the upper radiator hose from the radiator.3 Pour 50/50 blend of anti-freeze and water (preferably distilled or de-ionized) into the upper radiator hose until the hose is full.4 Reinstall the hose to the radiator and tighten the clamp. 5. slowly fill the radiator until the level reaches the filler neck. 6. fill the reserve tank to the full mark. 7. reinstall the vent plug and reserve tank cap. 8. use a cooling system pressure tester to make sure there are no leaks, then install the radiator cap. 9. run the engine until it reaches full operating temperature at least 180 degrees F. 10. shut the engine off allow to cool down to room tempterature, then check the level in the radiator and reserve tank and add coolent if needed..... found this in a mag at the dealership,called the end wrench....http://www.endwrench.com

Call Subaru and tell them. Call the BBB also. They're gonna screw you if you don't act on this.

I have contacted them twice already. My case worker wont call me back so I went to her supervisor. This guy says he has to get more Information since it appears they arent entering all if the info into the computer. He is going to call me tomorrow but they are going to begin putting it back together tomorrow. He said he doesnt think they will put a new engine in it. I am going to wait until he gets back in touch with me and if I do not get any satisfaction I am going to contact a Lawyer. Would any of you accept Milled heads on a car with 5,900 miles on it.

No...are they extending your powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles to stand behind their work? 90 days warranty on repairs won't cut it in this case. You need to make your case high enough to influence the regional rep. as they seem to have the final word with the dealer.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

No...are they extending your powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles to stand behind their work? 90 days warranty on repairs won't cut it in this case. You need to make your case high enough to influence the regional rep. as they seem to have the final word with the dealer.

I agree and that is what I think they would want if it was their car. I am going to wait to here from SOA tomorrow then I am going to contact a Lawyer, BBB and the owner of the dealership and see if he is going to let this go on. I dont think he wants a BBB complaint out there either. This is really pi**ing me off.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hell no I wouldn't accept milled heads on a car that new! I'd be up their asses day and night until they decided their sanity was more important than the cost of a new engine. Seriously. When I get pissed, I get pissed. I'm still angry with my dealer for issues much less severe than yours. I called Subaru 5 times a day. I made a pest of myself with e-mails, message boards, etc. I made a point to call at least twice each lunch break.

sorry to hear about your problem. check with bbb, consumer advocates , whomever and find out what the lemon law rules are in your state. in states such as mass, if the same problem related issues re-occur in a certain amount of time, you may be able to make them take the thing back if you (and the courts) are not satisfied with their corrective action. you may have to get a legal eagle.

don't let this give you a totally bad taste about subies-it can happen with any line

ps. i would not ask the service dept at the dealer, or anyone at the dealer what the lemon law regulations are-they are likely to talk around it.

This is not my beautiful car.

sorry to hear about your problem. check with bbb, consumer advocates , whomever and find out what the lemon law rules are in your state. in states such as mass, if the same problem related issues re-occur in a certain amount of time, you may be able to make them take the thing back if you (and the courts) are not satisfied with their corrective action. you may have to get a legal eagle.

don't let this give you a totally bad taste about subies-it can happen with any line

ps. i would not ask the service dept at the dealer, or anyone at the dealer what the lemon law regulations are-they are likely to talk around it.

Lemon Laws here in WV is three times for the same problem. In the past my family has owned two subaru wagons. These were probably the best two vehicles we ever owned until I got a Honda. I know that problems can arise with any make I just want SOA to make it right and to this point they haven't.

Archived