LegacyGT.com

Aging a steak

jj808

Guest heightsgtltd

^^ Craftsteak in Manhattan is one of my favorite restaurants and bills for two have been about that for me too! The sides there are AMAZING but everything is extra like at any steakhouse.

To respond to Penguin, he's right about the cost, so when people talk about corn-fed it's often grain fed that is what's going on.

^^ Craftsteak in Manhattan is one of my favorite restaurants and bills for two have been about that for me too! The sides there are AMAZING but everything is extra like at any steakhouse.

To respond to Penguin, he's right about the cost, so when people talk about corn-fed it's often grain fed that is what's going on.

Grain, corn, it doesn't matter. There will be a mix and corn will be the primary grain being fed to the cow at the feed lot.

Grass fed steaks are nasty, at least out here they are because the climate is so dry. The grass is really low on nutrients, so feed lots are the only way to go to get the cattle to a marketable weight and meat quality.

Guest heightsgtltd

Quality being equal, I prefer grass most of the time.

You can get really good corn fed or grass fed so it's really about the flavor.

Guest heightsgtltd
Grass fed isn't all that lean, at least not the ones that are served in restaurants around here. The marbling is fantastic.

Guest Gitster

So I was just at Whole Foods and I never realized it before, but right behind the butcher counter they have a big climate controlled case with big hanging racks of hanging aging meat.

Pretty interesting, I picked up a pamphlet on them. The steaks are probably outrageous to buy at that place :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived