LegacyGT.com

What clutch too get.

Jordan

My clutch is slipping in every gear, it is destroyed. Im stage 2 and need to know what clutch with support my mods and future ones, im looking at the act, and excedy although there websites have barely any info on them. I need to order a clutch asap so some good input would be much appreciated. Also is this something I can install myself or should I flush another 500 away on installation, ive installed the basics(turbo back/springs) I am up to the challenge as long as it is relatively straight forward. Thankyou.

I'm in the same boat. My clutch is slipping badly and need to get something ordered the next day or two. I'm looking for a single mass set-up that is rated for at least 350wtq. (I currently have around 310wtq).

I think I am about to pull the trigger on the ACT SB5-HDMM, which is rated for 420tq. I believe I'll need to pick up an '06-'07 OEM WRX flywheel for this setup. Man... $800+ in parts, ouch.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I recommend the Spec stage 2 or 2+. I have almost 30,000 miles on my 2+ and I like it.

I can give you the name of a buddy that works at Spec if you'd like.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://honda-tech.com/zerouser?cmd=viewprofile&id=2910

That's Danny Smith's PM info on Honda-Tech. I met him Saturday morning at Englishtown NJ. Two day event.

He will be more then happy to help you. He's on his way back to AL so give him a couple of day's.

I'm sure you can call http://www.specclutch.com/ and ask for him.

You can tell him Byron sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My clutch and flywheel came today via UPS. I went with the ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit (SB5-HDMM), rated at 420lb-ft. and an '06-'07 WRX single mass flywheel.

I think that single-mass flywheel is a decent compromise, which should give a little better performance than the OEM LGT dual-mass flywheel. I could have gone with a light-weight flywheel, but was concerned to do anything that would compromise daily driving too much. Honestly I'm still on the fence and still have the option to go with a LWFW... can anybody make a really good case for doing so?

My '05 LGT

I have the same ACT clutch as you do with the light weight flywheel in my LGT. Been installed for around 15,000 miles now with no problems at all. I really like the set up and it sure does take a beating. Either way, you'll enjoy the clutch.

The LWFW is fine in daily driving? Not annoying? Okay WAF (wife approval factor)?

My '05 LGT

It's fine for daily driving. I drive 75 miles a day. There's nothing really annoying about it. It is a little noisy compared to the stock set up but not too bad. My wife hates the way I drive but says the flywheel really doesn't change the feel of the car that much. Once the clutch is broken in it will seem normal to anyone who doesn't push the cars or clutches limits. However, the agressive driver will be very pleased. The flywheel is built well with slots for the disc dust and heat to escape. I'm sure the flywheel you purchased will do a fine job too.

________

Juicy_Jules19 live

Hi:

I have an '05 Outback 2.5 XT and it needs a new clutch, started slipping really badly last week. I believe the Outback engine (code EJ255BTAJB) and transmission (code TY757VWAAB) is the same as the Legacy so is my assumption correct in that a clutch spec'd for the Legacy will fit an Outback?

I saw this ad posted here and was wondering if it would fit my Outback?

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1100/ACT-Legacy-GT-%2806-dsh-07/Detail

Thanks for any advise.

Dale

Hi:

I have an '05 Outback 2.5 XT and it needs a new clutch, started slipping really badly last week. I believe the Outback engine (code EJ255BTAJB) and transmission (code TY757VWAAB) is the same as the Legacy so is my assumption correct in that a clutch spec'd for the Legacy will fit an Outback?

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1100/ACT-Legacy-GT-%2806-dsh-07/Detail

Thanks for any advise.

Dale

Yes, they are the same.

335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

Well looks like im going with the excedy stage 1, now the quistion is should i throw the excedy lighweight flywheel in or not, is it worth 300 bucks, what will it do... DEBATE!!!

What's the torque rating? I don't think its much more than stock. If you drive it hard you'll likely eventually see slipping again at your stage 2 level.

Hi:

Thanks for any advise.

Dale

Yes that will work. I'd recommend the OEM WRX fly. I've had this set up for nearly a year. Nice set up...near stock feel but holds much better.

I went with exactly with the Han'sGT set-up. I'll need to go to ACT's website to see what they recommend for break-in. I've heard various break-in regimens. I don't see why I can't drive it and have fun (WOT) as long as my shifts are civil, crisp, and rev-matched.

My '05 LGT

^ Give it a good 500-600 miles of "gentle" driving. Once your in gear you can get on the gas. But no quick shifting, heavy slipping or high RPM downshifting. At first it may be a bit touchy, but it will brake in nicely...you'll be happy.

Yes that will work. I'd recommend the OEM WRX fly. I've had this set up for nearly a year. Nice set up...near stock feel but holds much better.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I may go that route with my next replacement when I'm doing the work, for now I've decided on a Bully Stage 1 clutch with the stock DMF since the car shop is doing the install. Bully is local (just down the street from me) so I can work with them on the next setup. Apparently they've been supplying quite a few Subaru clutches (& WRX conversions) lately.

BTW: When I looked over the clutch disk I noticed a Sachs part number on it. Is that who makes the OEM disk?

Archived