LegacyGT.com

12V receptacle in Outback wagons question?

I want to install the 12V outlet that the Outback's have in the "trunk" in my Legacy wagon. So yesterday I pulled off the rear plug where it should go and looked around inside thinking the plug would already be there. I would just purchase the Outback unit and plug it in and go. Unfortunately, from what I could see through the small opening there isn't one unless it's hidden away. I really wasn't in the mood to start pulling off panels so I figured I'd ask here first. Anyone else here do this, or maybe someone has a shop manual and culd look it up for me.

Thanks,

Brian

The wiring should be there, but you have to buy the socket.

Yeah, that's what I thought too but from what I can see through that small hole the wiring harness isn't there for the socket to plug into.

Opie, are you out there!!?? Help! :D

Brian

You may have to pull a panel and look for an open plug that is taped to the wiring harness. When I put a hitch on my 2000 LGT wagon there was no wiring point to connect the trailer harness to...it was a different rear harness than on the Outback.

Go figure.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

The harnesses for both the power outlet and the trailer lights (you still need an adapter for the lights) are there. I installed both the outlet and an adapter on my Legacy Wagon.

Both are taped to other wires behind the side panel just in front of the lift gate on the drivers side. You will have to remove most of the trim on the floor and drivers side to get to them though. The trim can be poped off (be careful not to damage the clips) with the exception of the side panel. The side panel has screws hidden behind the floor tiedown, bag hook, pillar trim and the socket for the roll-up cover.

I don't remember the part numbers for the outlet components, but the dealer said that they were the same parts used for the outlet in the arm rest cubby.

Good Luck,

Brian

The harnesses for both the power outlet and the trailer lights (you still need an adapter for the lights) are there. I installed both the outlet and an adapter on my Legacy Wagon.

Both are taped to other wires behind the side panel just in front of the lift gate on the drivers side. You will have to remove most of the trim on the floor and drivers side to get to them though. The trim can be poped off (be careful not to damage the clips) with the exception of the side panel. The side panel has screws hidden behind the floor tiedown, bag hook, pillar trim and the socket for the roll-up cover.

I don't remember the part numbers for the outlet components, but the dealer said that they were the same parts used for the outlet in the arm rest cubby.

Good Luck,

Brian

Wow.....great!! The forum comes through again. I was getting ready to pull the panel. Now it's off to the dealer to get the outlet.

Radioflyer, what's the deal with the adapter for the trailer harness? I'm thinking of also installing a hitch. Did the parts guy help you out with this or did you dig up this info yourself...and part numbers? I'm a little leary to ask the parts guy for help in regards to this as most dealerships seem to not recommend a trailer hitch on the Legacy, although if you look on Subaru's website they list a 2,700 lb towing capacity for the Legacy:rolleyes: !

Thanks again,

Brian

Sorry about the delay in replying. I was laid low by illness.:( Hopefully this reply will still be useful to you.

I don't do much with the dealer ... I usually know more about the car than the dealer does!

I used an off-the-shelf converter for the lights and just spliced into the harness. You will need to get the type that uses a 12v power wire in addition to the normal light wires. The harness has a 12v power wire in it.

As for the hitch, I ordered a Hidden Hitch and easily installed it myself. I don't know why Subaru doesn't recommend a hitch even though they obviously anticipate us towing a trailer given the many pages devoted to this topic in the owner's manual.

Happy towing.

Brian

Sorry about the delay in replying. I was laid low by illness.:( Hopefully this reply will still be useful to you.

I don't do much with the dealer ... I usually know more about the car than the dealer does!

I used an off-the-shelf converter for the lights and just spliced into the harness. You will need to get the type that uses a 12v power wire in addition to the normal light wires. The harness has a 12v power wire in it.

As for the hitch, I ordered a Hidden Hitch and easily installed it myself. I don't know why Subaru doesn't recommend a hitch even though they obviously anticipate us towing a trailer given the many pages devoted to this topic in the owner's manual.

Happy towing.

Brian

No problem., I'm actually sick now myself. Thanks for all the info. Yeah this is still useful to me since i'm not in a rush to install a hitch. It's going to be a future project.

Hope you feel better.

Brian

I got my adaptor through CC-B and did the install. A bit involved, as you have to pull the rear apart. If you can get the 12v socket through you dealer - do it. I paid about $30/shipped through CC-b, but they are not the quickest or best to deal with (I got lucky).

Archived