LegacyGT.com

Clutch slipping after 10,000km

MattB

Whats going on? I had my clutch replaced about a year ago, it's done just over 10,000km now and its slipping! Also, most of the action of the clutch doesn't happen until it's almost completely out! A clutch shouldn't go after 10,000km regardless of how poorly you drive it (and I dont thrash it), so any ideas whats going on?

Well, how do you drive your Legacy? Do you launch it? AWD trannies take a lot more of a beating than FWD or RDW. The wheels don't give so that shock is usually swallowed up by your clutch. Could be that it needs to be adjusted again?

Usually, I drive it very easily. Occasionally I'll launch it, but nothing that could possibly wear it out that quickly. Would it be slipping if it just needed adjusting? Also, would I be able to adjust it myself?

Hey Bud,

I'm in the same boat only I went with an ACT Street Performance clutch and lightened flywheel. I've never tracked my car and have done 2 quarter mile runs with it and I'm relatively easy on launches. Add to the fact that my AVO 420's turbo lag makes it relatively difficult to really hammer on the clutch from a stand still. I had a guy that wanted to go for a ride the other day and so I actually did an aggressive launch and it slipped real bad through 3 gears with about 13,000 miles on it. I will be upgarading with something a little more stout when I replace this one.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1st off always make sure when you put in a new clutch you break it in properly. especially a performence clutch. (500 miles city driving stayin out of boost) A 500 mile trip on the highway doesnt count. People love to throw in a new clutch and then go out for wot runs. Thats a easy way to fry your new clutch.

BTW i have spec stage2+ spec LWF Just about 16,000 miles on it number of hard launches at the dragstripe and flat foot shifting. Never has slipped on me yet. But im also still stock turbo...

Hey Bud, I'm in the same boat only I went with an ACT Street Performance clutch and lightened flywheel. ...it slipped real bad through 3 gears with about 13,000 miles on it. I will be upgarading with something a little more stout when I replace this one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have the heavy duty pressure plate with modified street disk? Wonder if just a better disk would do the trick (e.g. 6 puck, etc)?

Archived