LegacyGT.com

Crappy radio reception with new deck

Deaks2

Yes, I wired in the blue amp-power on wire from my Pioneer DEH-3900 to the blue wire in the harness. Also, I noticed that if I put my hand near the deck I get a drop in reception. AM is just about useless, and many FM stations either don't come in or have static.

I used to have this deck in my 2005 Acura RSX-S, and it too had an integrated rear-glass antenna. The radio reception was flawless, I'd pull in Vermont's NPR station from Montreal.

I just reviewed threads going back to 2004 on this site regarding radio reception, and from what I can figure some cars have a bad glass antenna? The problem in my case is stock radio reception was fine... I am using the Metra Subaru antenna adapter, and had to extend it to make it reach up to the deck which is in the cubby with a 1DIN adapter. (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95440)

Any suggestions?

Not sure but I have absolutely crap reception on my stock radio.

I haven't pulled it out yet to test the connection - but I have a feeling it's just a badly designed glass antenna.

Any other good alternatives? Would HD radio come in more clearly since it's all-or-nothing, or would it just cut out a lot?

I refuse to spend the money to replace the windshield.

I believe that there was a service advisory for bad grounding for the antenna affecting radio reception. I believe that AM, in particular was affected the most. I don't remember if this advisory was just for the 05MY or other years as well. But at least it's something to look into.

I get great reception -- both AM and FM. I wonder if the others who are complaining about bad reception have the affected cars with the grounding problem.

Can anyone offer any info on the grounding problem? Warranty issue? TSB? Steps to rectify the problem? I would like to rule this out for myself.

It's TSB 15-115-05 "Audio System - AM Band Engine Noise"; you can see the list of TSBs here:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/55/05550552.html

The dealer should be able to print that out -- or if you have a subscription to alldata (I don't).

Archived