LegacyGT.com

Would love to see a detailing forum

I know that when you drive an 05 detailing may not be the first thing on your mind, but proper care now saves you problems in the future. It would be great if we had a forum discussing what products and techniques work the best for specific applications. I know I'd love to see one anyway.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

That sucks that it keeps getting shot down. Out of the three forums I participate in two of them are specific to detailing and the other one is specific to my car. I think a detailing forum would add a lot to this site. Its getting to that time of year where we should be looking at getting our cars cleaned up from the winter and shining them up for summer. There may be some questions out there. I know for a fact that there are sponsors who would gladly participate on LegacyGT.com if there was a detailing section.

Perhaps it could even just be included in the Exterior forum with a slash or something. Exterior/Asthetic/Detailing. Then at least people would know where to post their questions. Detailing is more than just money shots on your car. Any car looks good when photographed at the right angles or in the shade. Besides, I'm not impressed with a 2005 car reflecting something. Its a 2005 for crying otu loud.... it should be reflecting. lol What I'm concerned about is using a wax or sealant that is going to protect my car the longest and look the best for my taste. I want to know how to properly care for my wheels and how to detail my engine. Things like Industrial Fallout or Raildust removal might me a concern for some people. A new car is a huge investment and it is only logical that we discuss ways to keep it looking its best. Washing it once a week and waxing it on the weekends is not going to do it. There is a lot to learn and discuss.

I was a moderator and an administrator on Autopia.org. I had trouble registering as Jngrbrdman over here, but I think a lot of Autopians would recognize me. Its a great site over there that I have learned a ton from. The problem with it is that the threads get buried so quickly. You ask a question and then 3 minutes later it is on page 9 of the forum. You are lucky to get any response that doesn't include "search first" or some other flame. I still post on Autopia and Detail City, but I would love to see something going on here that is more specific to detailing concerns or techniques that we have for the Legacy. Its just a thought. I'm not going anywhere one way or the other. This is a great site regardless. It would be nice to at least see the word 'detailing' in one of the forum titles so that I know where to post at.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I agree with the smilies. Speaking of Autopia and Detail City.. they have some of the best smilies on those sites. We really need these...

http://www.detailcity.com/images/smilies/driving.gifhttp://www.detailcity.com/images/smilies/rtfm.gifhttp://www.detailcity.com/images/smilies/naughty.gifhttp://www.detailcity.com/images/smilies/bowdown.gifhttp://www.detailcity.com/images/smilies/bigups.gif

Its hard to think about having any thread on detailing without having proper smilies to give props to the hard work. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

I can do a FAQ and write-up in the Exterior Forum for exterior car care and Interior Forum for interior car care for leather and cloth. It could make it easier to go with that instead of entirely new forum just for cleaning the car.. there's only so much you can do about going to clean a car or wax it.. after all, there is only one final result when cleaning a car, and that's to have that showroom quality level of cleaniness.

Keefe

Keefe

Even detailing boards don't have forums dedicated to interior or exterior detailing. We considered that at one time on Autopia and decided against it. It was easier to just put them all together.

The main thing with having a forum specific to detailing is to have members who are there to answer questions who are non-biased. The worst thing in the world is to come onto a board where the detailing forum is ruled by users of BrandX or BrandY only and nothing else is allowed to be discussed. I have always done my best to counter that mentality on sites like this by offering several suggestions. If you don't have members answering questions then nobody will post them. I know I'm not the only one on the board who understands proper car care, so it would surely be a busy board. I've got connections with great compaines who I am sure would love to sponsor LegacyGT.com and offer member discounts on detailing products. I really look forward to future consideration of this idea. I think it would be a great addition to the site. Especially if members like Xenonk already have articles that they can post and we can start off with great discussion about products and processes.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There would probably be more discussion about it if there was a forum titled for it. It would let people know that their question won't get lost under 3 pages of other threads. I know they could post it under the exterior forum, but detailing is an exterior and interior thing. It is also about products which don't really apply to either.

A test run might be nice. Create the forum for a little while and see how much play it gets. If it doesn't work out then just move all the threads back over to the Exterior forum and nuke the detailing one. Couldn't hurt.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'd still like to see a detailing forum. This is one of the few things that keeps getting brought up, and continually shot down. If so many people want it, why not add it? The posts are all over the place because no one knows where to post. :(

I'd still like to see a detailing forum. This is one of the few things that keeps getting brought up, and continually shot down. If so many people want it, why not add it? The posts are all over the place because no one knows where to post. :(

+1

As someone who washes and vacuums his car almost every week, I'm in for the detailing forum.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Its funny you mention that. My last car had black carpet too, but I find that this car needs to be vacuumed all the friggen time. I must track more dirt into the car this year than I did last year. I seem to get dirt on the plastic rail as I get in the car more often in the Legacy too. I would hate to see what the interior looks like on this car after a few months of no cleaning.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
As someone who washes and vacuums his car almost every week, I'm in for the detailing forum.

You are the man I used to be- no time for it now, but keep up the good work! :cool:

You are the man I used to be- no time for it now, but keep up the good work! :cool:

Friday's I work 1/2 days......no daycare for the little ones so while they are napping inside, I'll go out and do a full wash or wash the windows and vacuum the interior. Dust Busters are the FRICKIn bomb!!! Just bought the 14V one. It's alot easier to use that than pull out the big vac.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 3 weeks later...

Archived