LegacyGT.com

Trade In

Next summer I will be moving to Los Angeles. Where I live now I need the Legacy for the winters. Since its all nice weather down there, I am thinking of trading it in for something used that would get better gas mileage around the city. My only issue is if I get a different car I want to get one that has all the options I want, so that im not spending extras for aftermarket junk.

What I want is : Navigation ( i'll be new to the area and it would save me alot of hassle) I would also like stock HID's (just a personal preference) I know eveyrone has their own opinion about HID's, but for me, its what I want in the new car.

So With those two options, it seems like a good choice would be a mazda3 since it has those...other cars I considered are TSX and the S40.

Thoughts?

both the tsx and s40 pull ~ the same mpg as the legacy does (20 city/28hwy) so imo you would probably be better off just keeping your legacy unless you just wanted to upgrade to a newer car.

mazda3 may be a better option but to me after driving a legacy and then downgrading to the 3 would probably make you miss some of the creature comforts and minor details that the legacy had to offer.

Improved MPG usually never financially justifies trading a car if purchased new. Depreciation is the biggest cost of a new vehicle costs by far.

However if you want a new car go for it.

I want a new car, but I would definitely buy a used one. I bought my Legacy new, and when I saw depreciation after a year, I cringed. But its inevitable with any new car.

both the tsx and s40 pull ~ the same mpg as the legacy does (20 city/28hwy) so imo you would probably be better off just keeping your legacy unless you just wanted to upgrade to a newer car.

mazda3 may be a better option but to me after driving a legacy and then downgrading to the 3 would probably make you miss some of the creature comforts and minor details that the legacy had to offer.

Definitely agree, when I purchased my Legacy in 06, I test drove the Mazda3, I couldnt afford the top of the line one with all the options, but the 6cd changer and auto air were the only thing I found more appealing about the 3, but I did end up going with the Legacy.

I still have time before I decide what im going to do, but I do like how the 3 and S40 on require regular fuel, where as the TSX and Audi's require premium. I could sure save a buck on fuel.

My car says that I average 25mpg overall. I guess that is not too bad, considering nothing will really get better than that substantially unless it is a little econocar like the Corolla or a hybrid. But the cars im looking at would basically be the same MPG as mine.

my move to the A3 2.0t is saving me over $150 in gas, $50 in insurance...and a few other things...

Oh I didnt realize you had the A3. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a jump then if your saving on gas and insurance. I have the regular 2.5i Legacy, so I dont know how much i'd save on gas or insurance, but I dont think i'd have to pay much more.

What made you decide on the A3? I have heard mixed reviews of Audi reliability, i'd probably be buying the 06 A3 if I did. Hopefully it has iPod hookups, i wish my 06 legacy had that. Do you have the navi and xenons in your A3?

Keep the legacy unless you must have oem Nav and HID....

Although you are against aftermarket. The quality is much better with aftermarket Nav's. You can then install TSX HIDS or the like in your legacy.

Win win

my A3 has factory nav and AM xenons...gonna convert it pretty soon(to factory Bixnons)

the ipod hokups are pretty useless, i have one and hate it...i do like that the car has 2 SD card slots so all my music goes on that..

what made me decide? hmmm...i like the overall plushness yet sportiness of the car.... probably one of the better handling stock cars i have ever driven...I was originally looking at an 08 STI but it didnt do it for me...all i can say is drive one...and decide for yourself...its an S-line so i think the car sits a little lower than the regular a3...which helps in handling

the only real thing i miss about my leggy is the power that it had...the a3 is freakin quick for 200hp...but it doesnt pull like the legacy did...everything else i dont miss...too much :lol:

oh and if you can...get the bose system...seems stupid but that is my 1 complain about the car, stock sound blow salty balls. but i got the car for a steal, so i cant really complain..i guess

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

What about the ES350. People give it crap because its FWD, but with a 270 HP, highly efficient 3.5L, its actually quite a fun car to drive. Not like the Legacy GT obviously, but its quite nice for entry level luxury and the fuel savings are worth it. We had one for a loaner and I really enjoyed driving it.

And can I say that if you have the chance to be patient and do the private sale its worth it.

My '96 LGT was worth back in 2005...

trade in: $4500

private party: $6800

I got the $7000 I was asking for it.

What about the ES350. People give it crap because its FWD, but with a 270 HP, highly efficient 3.5L, its actually quite a fun car to drive. Not like the Legacy GT obviously, but its quite nice for entry level luxury and the fuel savings are worth it. We had one for a loaner and I really enjoyed driving it.

I like the ES, however I dont have lots of money to spend to buy, I think it would be a little out of my range for a used car. I am looking for 20k or under. I know, im pushing it for the luxury stuff I want.

Absolutely nothing fun about that bloated Camry except if you like romping on the pedal and accelerating. I will give definitely comfy.

Archived