LegacyGT.com

gauges wiring to ignition +12V

iNVAR

I installed my gauges (thread here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96996) and was wondering if there's something I'm missing? Right now, when I turn the key into the ACC position (radio/cig lighter comes on), the Defi gauges go through their sweep.

Is there a wire somewhere that only comes on when the factory gauges do their sweep (i.e. in the final key position the one where the car is running?)

Thanks.

Updated: I'm bumping this for an update. Easiest way to do this is to run a wire from the fuse panel using a fuse tap for #26, which is for the power windows. Connect that wire to the "switched" line for your gauge(s). Voila.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

+1 I'm looking for an answer to this as well. I know that you can just sandwich the power wire for your gauge to the IGN fuse. My problem is that my gauges are in the center cubby pod, so it would be easier to v-clamp somewhere on the radio/A/C harness. Somebody who has the service manual and knows how to read electrical diagrams should be able to answer this.

-Sergei

Nevermind, further investigation reveals this:

The Yellow/Red wire running to the back of the Clock/Trip Computer is what you're looking for. Actually, all the connections you needed are on the wiring harness for the Clock/Trip Computer. Here's how I wired mine:

-The Red wires from both the back of the guage and the sensor run to the Yellow/Red wire on the trip computer.

-The White wire from the back of the guage also goes to the Yellow/Red wire on the trip computer(for white illumination on the guage).

-The Black ground wires from both the guage and the sensor run to the Black/Yellow wire on the trip computer.

-The white wire from the guage connects to the green wire on the sensor.

I didn't hook the orange wire on my guage up because I wanted it to always stay white. If you want the guage amber when the parking lights are on, I think you're right with connecting it to the purple wire to the cubby light (although I have an '07 and they don't have cubby lights). Hope that helps...

I'm already doing that. It's not the way I want it to come on. The dashboard's gauges come on only when the key is in position II (when all the check engine, airbag, seatbelt, etc. lights are on). The Defi gauges are coming on in position I (when the radio, wipers, and clock) come on. If you notice, that clock powers on with your accessories.

I would like it so the Defi gauges only come on when the key is in position II.

I noticed that after I wired it all up.

I'm almost positive that you can find the correct leads for IGN on that same harness. The clock turns on with ACC, but the trip computer only comes on with IGN. It's just a matter of figuring out which ones are constant 12V and ground. Not hard, just time consuming.

• 1 year later...
I'm bumping this for an update. Easiest way to do this is to run a wire from the fuse panel using a fuse tap for #26, which is for the power windows. Connect that wire to the "switched" line for your gauge(s). Voila.

Please avoid tapping into the fuse box, It can spread the contacts causing trouble down the road. Worse still, if you tap into the wrong side of the fuse, the wire coming from it will not be protected.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Please avoid tapping into the fuse box, It can spread the contacts causing trouble down the road. Worse still, if you tap into the wrong side of the fuse, the wire coming from it will not be protected.

I'm using one of these.

3c2dce34-cf0b-43a1-aabf-d886ccd13aad.JPG.972a1e94d5cce637a24a37e5f30647e0.JPG

• 7 months later...
I'm using one of these.

Thanks for the reply, but I found the solution already. Wire tap/split fuse #26. Easier than trying to find that OP connector harness. ;)

Does anyone think a Innovate wideband O2 (remember there is a heater circuit there) is too much for a fuse tap?

Archived