LegacyGT.com

My car still studders when cold!

ken_depew

Hey guys, isn't the design of our engines the reason for "quirky" things like stutter and idle being a little "different"? Not to undermine an inherent issues that people my be having, just wondering after reading a lot of the posts.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

That's a pretty lame reason if that's the case... other four bangers don't do it.
Yeah I'm pretty sure we've covered all the lame reasons as well in the other stuttering threads.. It's a software problem. There is no reason for uneven combustion when you have computer controller fuel injection and even tumble control valves for more even mixture during idling. A six or more will pose little advantage.

How many miles do you all have on your cars?

My car started running significantly better with a smoother idle, no hesitation anymore, and a minor improvement in gas mileage from about 2700 miles on. I have 4400 miles now with no complaints.

I am curious if Subaru updated there ECU programming since they began producing the LGT. It might be worth checking with the dealer and see if they will reflash your ECU if you complain about hesitation issues with them. My car was built in Sept. Maybe someone should start a POLL asking when your car was manufactured and if it hesitates? There are enough people on here to see if ther is a trend. Just an idea.

My car drove me nuts when it was new, but it did go away.

I believe some very early WRXs suffered from the same problem. It was an ECU thing. When an update is available, I'm sure you can go to Subaru to get the ECU reflashed to the new map. Or just do some ECUTek or AP flashing :D

It's a fourbanger, which means it's just going to run rough until it gets up to operating temp. Don't worry, mine does the same thing.

Gonna have to throw the BS flag on this one. Had 00 Toyota Celica GT-S (I4). Didnt run rough when cold at all. It was limited to 6k rpm till warm but it didnt run "rough".

• 2 weeks later...

Is it really the motor, or is it some sort of driveline lash until all the trans/diff fluids warm up?

I've only noticed it when cold, and only when applying 1/2 throttle or more. Lighter applications of the throttle don't bring it on at all.

I'd think it would be engine related, but I'm still trying to sort it out...

I also know the feeling. I complained to the Dealer but they didn't have enought knowledge to fix it and it is very difficult to duplicate it at the Dealer.

It is quite noticable in cold between 2000 -3000 rpms when changing gears and you press the throttle aprox 1/2 way. (MANUAL TRANSMISSION ONLY)

When it warms up it gets much better and I can live with it but it is still there. It definitely are the symptoms of lean mixture in the engine map at that point. I don't know if the ECU can be re-mapped and fixed.

its seems like the jerk is from the rear until it's warmed up to operating temp.

it's evident that thr tranny type or awd type is not the reason.

something in the rear diff or the diff oil temp???

it's annoying.

Also someone at work has a 96 legacy wagon and he says his does not go away till a half hour. So i'm wondering if this problem gets worse over time/miles

Archived