LegacyGT.com

2008 pontiac solstice GXP Auto

Here is my brother in laws pontiac solstice. We made a cool video today, just wanted to share it:

Notice the license plates. It cracks me up, because both of my subarus are faster.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bbXzofofM]YouTube - pontiac solstice GXP doing Donuts[/ame]

Pics:

Eibach springs and 18" konig wheels

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/collegemt/100_1116.jpg

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/collegemt/100_1117.jpg

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/collegemt/100_1118.jpg

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/collegemt/100_1115.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

ya know if they werent ugly.. and convertible.. I'd be interested in one of these.

I think the saturn sky looks better... but not by much.. and its still a floppy top.. I like my roof to be metal.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/generalleeharvey/GM%20NATS%206-21/DSCF2036.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/generalleeharvey/GM%20NATS%206-21/DSCF2037.jpg

This is from the GM Nats in Carlisle on 6-21-08. It was crammed in the "Pontiac Pavilion" with some other cool shit so I couldn't get a decent pic of it. It has a targa roof a la base C5 on up Vette.

Agree.

Sky is a better looking convertible, but the targa coupe is hot.

If it weren't for the black box recorder, and mandatory onStar... I would be much more enthused about the Solstice GXP Targa coupe. I hate tattle-tales, especially unaccountable electronic ones.

And a tiny little CHMSL that is lower than the actual tail lights is kind of pointless. Center HIGH MOUNT stop lamp... It is just as odd on the convertible versions. At least the Boxster and others have the stop lamp mounted further forward, so tall vehicles immediately behind the car can still see it, even if they can't see the regular tail lights. A small pittance of an issue.

It certainly looks better and I like the look, but unfortunately, being a targa with a removable roof, the car is probably not that much stiffer than the convertible version... maybe a bit with the roof in place, but a permanent roof coupe would be inherently stiffer, being welded/bonded together from bottom to top.

Still a very nice car, don't get me wrong.

black box? :confused:

Coupe looks pretty cool.. I was a little worried about what it may look like considering the Z-wagon thing.. that bmw came out with a few years ago.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

GM is one of the big ones who put accident recording devices in their cars, as well as onStar.

Accident recording devices (like the "black boxes" on commercial and other aircraft) maintain a memory buffer that gets frozen in an accident, that can be recalled when investigating an accident. If the insurance company pays your claim, they buy the car from you, at the car's market value.

They own the car, and they can use that data to adjust your future insurance, or the opposing insurance can sue, have access to that data under discovery rules, and use the evidence against you in court.

I don't want a car with an accident data recorder that can be used against me. My wife wouldn't do that, and is protected from having to do so. My property should not be used against me either.

And I have no idea what onStar does when it isn't reporting to me. It has a GPS, cellphone, and is tied into every system in the car, via the CAN-bus. Is it reporting your speed and position to anyone, or checking it against a geographic information system populated with speed limits, and checking on the legality of your driving? Is it transmitting other data to void your warranty, or something else? Maybe not, but it doesn't have a monitor, and could be doing anything anyone wants to program it to do. I don't like that unaccountability...

If GM cars didn't have those, or it was an option to confirm that they are removed, I would be more interested in buying a GM car. They say those systems protect people... but anyone willing to give up liberty for security deserves neither. Ben Franklin said that, and it is still true.

o snap. I didnt know anything about that. When did they start doing that? I was going to try and buy a new sierra but now I might have to settle for used.. theyr'e cheaper anyway.

Yeah but i havent ever heard of one used against anyone. A coupel people i know have been in totals with 07+ GM cars, 2 of them doin things highly illegal when the accidents were caused. The got paid within a week by insurance and nothing else ever happened. 1 was almost 2 years ago now.

They have been doing that for a few years now, but not all vehicles. Mostly newly designed vehicles, where they can integrate it from the drawing-board stage.

Pretty sure the Solstice/Sky, and likely G8, and CTS, and Camaro probably all have it, not sure about older platforms or trucks.

Even if they aren't used in every case, I'd rather not even take part. It is philosophical. I don't abide the argument that "if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide," either.

The Weimar Republic into the Third Reich, Fascist Italy, and the Soviet Union, and almost all other totalitarian controlling governments were started as beneficial government to help the people, and started out very popular with the respective citizens. It didn't get bad until the hooks were already in, and it was too late to change direction. Black box recorders are being adopted slowly under washington regulation from insurance lobbyists. GM, and other manufacturers have no reason to install these black boxes, and no gain to make from it, other than playing ball with regulations, and staying clear of the fines involved.

I doubt the Grand Prix had one... it is quite an old architecture, despite it's model year.

The impala may or may not have had one... depending if they added it in the re-fresh a year or two ago.

It does require some integration into the car's electrical system, and access to compatible ECU and Body/Chassis Control Unit data. Older platforms, like Grand Prix, or the earlier impalas, may not have adopted it. Anything newly released in the last year or few probably does have it, Like Solstice, which was a completely new model just a couple of years ago, and designed for that system to be integrated.

Archived