LegacyGT.com

replace cv boots or new halfshafts

McCarthy69

i have a 99 legacy gt sedan. when i had the car on a lift at work i noticed one of my axle/cv boots is torn in the rear. I know i can just repace the boot but what do you guys normally do? Are there bigger/stronger halfshafts i can buy(mainly the rear but if they have them for all 4 thats good too)?

Why the extra expense on bigger half shafts?? It sounds like this car is stock. Bigger half shafts won't mean that the cv boot will not fail one day. I would just replace the boot and call it a day if its not making any noise.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

thats sounds good right now im just gonna do the boot its not that big of a hassle to me tearing it apart. The reason i questioned about stronger shafts is beacue by the time winter is over im gonna be turbo. I figured why replace the stock part that may not handle the power when i can go bigger.

I would just stick with replacing the boots if there is still grease in the joint.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I am looking to replace my halfshafts on my 97 GT. I have the book and a website with pictures. Worst case I have lots of machanic friends who I know can come to the rescue if I'm stuck; however, I don't want to get stuck. SO, is there any special Subaru tricks when replacing the halfshafts that I should know about? Will I need to remove (or disconnect) the tie rod ends? If so will I need an alighment afterwards?

i didnt do mine yet but from what i remember when i pulled my tranny we disconnecten the lower control arms and then the half shafts on the front. For the front ones on the tranny side there are roll pins holding the shafts to the tranny that you have to use a punch and knock out to remove the shaft from the tranny. Then remove the axle nut from the other end of the shaft. the rears dont have the pins they sould just come apart.

I am looking to replace my halfshafts on my 97 GT. I have the book and a website with pictures. Worst case I have lots of machanic friends who I know can come to the rescue if I'm stuck; however, I don't want to get stuck. SO, is there any special Subaru tricks when replacing the halfshafts that I should know about? Will I need to remove (or disconnect) the tie rod ends? If so will I need an alighment afterwards?

No you will not. You can disconnect the control arm where it mounts on the bottom.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

+1

We do them all the time unless there is no grease and the joint is dry, or it looks like it has been open a long time.

Archived