LegacyGT.com

Noob has several tuning questions, please help!

bocalu99

I have some very basic questions about tuning, in that I'm not really sure I understand it. I have done a lot of searching, but have not really been able to find adequate, clear, simple answers.

First off, when i re-tune my ecu, do i actually need to buy a $700 piece of equipment, like the Cobb AP, or can I just take my LGT to a shop or someone who has something like that and will just flash my ecu for a lot less than $700?

Second, my LGT is bone stock. I don't want to get into anything crazy, no drag racing, just some fun stuff, nothing really past stage II. So if I were to just go with a new up-pipe, down-pipe, and intake, would I really need a new tune for that? I've been told that if I go with a short-ram intake I wouldn't really need to re-tune, but I would need to re-tune with a cold-air. As for the new up/down pipes, are these even street legal? I'm assuming the "catless" ones are not. Can I get catted AM up/down pipes?

Lastly, my budget is very small. But I want to do at least some small mods asap. Is it dumb to do anything before the re-tune? I would think it would be better to get the intake, uppipe, and downpipe, and then get it tuned accordingly....i don't want to have to re-tune a second time after I get all that done. Now, if I just go with a re-tune and save all that other stuff for way down the road, is it going to put more stress on my engine? How bout my mpg?

Anyways, I know this was long and complicated, so if anyone is willing to read all this and help me out, I would be real grateful.

-Ben

im in your boat as well iv been looking into open source tuning and have downloaded Romraider but much of the talk in those forums is confusing until i grasp the simple terms and functions of the software and how everything interacts with another. I am deciding to learn about tuning so i will not go buy a Cobb accessport. Open source tuning will be a great project but i will study for a few weeks before trying it.:)

You can install that stuff - but have SOME sort of tuning ready; I wouldn't drive too long with all those things installed w/o tuning.

For 32-bit cars, the OpenPort 2.0 is needed - here: http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=49&osCsid=59d075d18cc39bafdbdeade88ee3535d

here's the bottom line - Download RomRaider and ECUFlash.

For a stock car, you can download a file by Mickeyd - can't find it right now..

But - what you do is, after that cable arrives, plug it in to your LT (mine loaded fine w/o specific drivers, etc, on Vista) via the USB. The other end goes into the OBD2 port (driver's side footwell). Under the passenger's side you'll find two green plugs - above where the passenger's left foot resides. Connect those.

Open ECUFlash software. Turn the key - just to ACC. Somewhere at the top you'll see 'Read from ECU' or similiar. Click there, and follow the prompts. You can down load from the ECU to get a copy of your ECU's parameters. Save that somewhere safe.

Next - take the Mickeyd's tune (again, the link for that tune now esacpes me - anyone have it bookmarked?) from wherever you've saved it, and open it with ECU flash. Hit 'test-write' to ECU and follow the prompts (For me it only works if I have the ignition off, then switch the key ON (just before it cranks) then hitting 'okay' on the prompt). When that's done, repeat but use Write to ECU.

Unplug the green connectors when done. And there you go - a re-flashed ECU.

I installed a catless DP over the weekend. CEL popped up. I opened Mickeyd's tune in Romraider ECU Editor and scrolled down and unchecked the boxes to keep the ECU from 'caring' about the rear O2 Sensor and whatnot - no more CEL. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96838

So - I'm into my tuning for $170 (OpenPort 2.0) plus $25? for a 1GB Micro SD card (goes into the connector), and freeware...AND the help of good people.

Now, the OpenPort 2.0 doesn't allow logging yet, so I can't send out my car's log for a specific-made-for-my-car Stage2 tune...when that happens I'll send that log + $$ to camtuning.com and get a pretty-darn-good tune for my car.

Total investment in tuning = less than HALF an AP, and will likely have a good-amount more power than the off-the-shelf tune that comes with the AP.

make sense?

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Yeah i gutted my dp and up so there was no cat on either. All i paid for was new gaskets-40 (bucks) and the tractrix cable (79.99) and did a stage 2 open source tune which was free. And that is how to become stage 2 and pick up roughly 40-60crank hp more powerband, earlier spool, higher rev limiter, more responsive throttle and smoother shifts and better power curve with only 120bucks.

Also when using mickeysds tune i have heard you wanna add 1psi to it.

Incase you wondering if you will pass emmision without haveing cats on the up/dp, well i did. As long as you have the correct engine codes turned off you should be fine.

ya know - I was told I had to buy the OpenPort 2 because 05+ LGTs had 32-bit ECUs...was I told wrong? If your not-2.0-version cable works...I spent twice what I had to!

You can install that stuff - but have SOME sort of tuning ready; I wouldn't drive too long with all those things installed w/o tuning.

For 32-bit cars, the OpenPort 2.0 is needed - here: http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=49&osCsid=59d075d18cc39bafdbdeade88ee3535d

But - what you do is, after that cable arrives, plug it in to your LT (mine loaded fine w/o specific drivers, etc, on Vista) via the USB. The other end goes into the OBD2 port (driver's side footwell). Under the passenger's side you'll find two green plugs - above where the passenger's left foot resides. Connect those.

Open ECUFlash software. Turn the key - just to ACC. Somewhere at the top you'll see 'Read from ECU' or similiar. Click there, and follow the prompts. You can down load from the ECU to get a copy of your ECU's parameters. Save that somewhere safe.

Next - take the Mickeyd's tune (again, the link for that tune now esacpes me - anyone have it bookmarked?) from wherever you've saved it, and open it with ECU flash. Hit 'test-write' to ECU and follow the prompts (For me it only works if I have the ignition off, then switch the key ON (just before it cranks) then hitting 'okay' on the prompt). When that's done, repeat but use Write to ECU.

Unplug the green connectors when done. And there you go - a re-flashed ECU.

I installed a catless DP over the weekend. CEL popped up. I opened Mickeyd's tune in Romraider ECU Editor and scrolled down and unchecked the boxes to keep the ECU from 'caring' about the rear O2 Sensor and whatnot - no more CEL. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96838

So - I'm into my tuning for $170 (OpenPort 2.0) plus $25? for a 1GB Micro SD card (goes into the connector), and freeware...AND the help of good people.

Now, the OpenPort 2.0 doesn't allow logging yet, so I can't send out my car's log for a specific-made-for-my-car Stage2 tune...when that happens I'll send that log + $$ to camtuning.com and get a pretty-darn-good tune for my car.

Total investment in tuning = less than HALF an AP, and will likely have a good-amount more power than the off-the-shelf tune that comes with the AP.

make sense?

this is GREAT stuff for noobs like me.

Here is MickeyD's stage 1 tune.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic3184.html

Very glad to see some use come of it - I'm an absolute newb who was scared of Open source type tuning. Luckily a guy on this board (stanghater) hand-held me as I learnt things. He's still the guy I go to with n00b questions. That post was a summary of my N00b questions to HIM, so...yeah. :)

When Cam (at camtuning.com) gets my E-tune set up, I'll dyno and post the results. Cam has tuned is personal car (STI) to the tune of 546awhp. He knows his chit. :)

Another guy from the forums did the same for me. Walked me though it all. Make sure when you start your car that you unhook the green test connectors. Or bad things will happen lol. Also the engine will turn over alot before it starts the first time after tuning, dont worry its not bad. My girlfriend was freaking out when i reflashed my car the other day when it didnt start lol.

Wow thanks a lot for all the replies, they were unbelievably helpful. So glad i don't have to spend $700+....why do people make it sound like doing this yourself is so outrageous? So now as far as swapping the up and down pipes, which should I do first, if I can only afford to do one right now? And how good an investment are these light-weight crank pulleys?

Down Pipe - I did mine over the weekend...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96587

'Course, I don't think switching from OEM to a catless DP helped the car at all. I'm very not-impressed by the gains. Again, I don't have it 'tuned' yet; that might be the difference. I also have an exhaust leak; might help the car when I get that fixed, too.

Here's the key - don't tune it yourself. Find a map already written and use that one. You are basically taking the work of another and loading it on your car.

Here's where problems can arise. What's a safe tune for ONE car, might not be on another, depending on conditions. Therefore, to be ultimately sure your car is running safe, you'd need to datalog and have your logs evaluated by a tuner you trust.

Or - take it to a tuning shop for an on-dyno tuning session, where they can monitor crap to ensure safety.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

make sense?

really? this is what i do? everyone has done this? and gets you to stage 1? seems so easy, but....

it is pretty easy, but if your a little hesitant, infamous one will give you an etune for about 150$. You still have to install the program and get a cable, but then you can trust a professional. He tunes to your car. so you data log, and he will make a map tailored to your car. Check the link below. Even if you flash it yourself, not a bad idea to have him retune for your specific needs. You can probably find over 100 people(me included) that would recommend him.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997

it is pretty easy, but if your a little hesitant, infamous one will give you an etune for about 150$. You still have to install the program and get a cable, but then you can trust a professional. He tunes to your car. so you data log, and he will make a map tailored to your car. Check the link below. Even if you flash it yourself, not a bad idea to have him retune for your specific needs. You can probably find over 100 people(me included) that would recommend him.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997

THANKS! I will check this out... sounds easy enough I guess.

From,

Could not be any more noob to tuning guy.

Archived