LegacyGT.com

Weatherstrip Folding - '08 Legacy

Does anybody else have this problem? When rolling down my windows partway, the weatherstripping at the top edge of the door folds in certain spots instead of staying flat pressed up against the glass. Is this an issue? Will it wear prematurely? Does the dealer need to take a look at it?

I try to raise the glass slightly after getting it near the desired level, but it doesn't flip the weatherstrip back out. :spin:

Noticed it on mine as well. Told the dealer and they replaced one and it still does it. They then told me to clean it "really well"....What a bunch of shit.

I don't have this problem, but I know that a great way to keep weatherstripping from drying out is to spray it regularly with a silicone lubricant spray. Maybe this will help?

This happens on my 08 as well on the back windows. I do what the OP does, once I roll them down and notice it, I give it a slight up motion that currently smooths it back out, but very annoying that I have to look behind me to check on this.

I told my dealer about this and he promptly ordered some in as warranty. Go by your dealer and act like you don't know what's going on and you might get some new ones under warranty.

Note:

Acting like you don't know what is going on does not give your dealer the permmision to take your whole door apart. I hear these just snap in.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

The new piece runs anywhere from $45-$57

Description: BELT MOULDING REAR left DRIVERS SIDE FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY OUTBACK ALL (item 2) comes with three clips, Part No.: 62280AG011, Fits Model: Outback

Year(s):2005-2009, Shipping Weight: 4, Price:$57

Description: BELT MOULDING REAR right PASSENGERS SIDE FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY OUTBACK ALL (item 2) comes with three clips, Part No.: 62280AG001, Fits Model: Outback

Year(s): 2005-2009, Shipping Weight: 4, Price: $57

rearwindow.thumb.jpg.a95d8b5fc23d2561bfb45774164cf85a.jpg

-Dante Alighieri

This only happens on the passenger side f&r doors ever since I had that side of the car repaired.

I've taken it apart a few times, and it just keeps doing it, even with some spray lubricant.

I thought you guys were talking about the weatherstripping, not that strip on the bottom of the window. I don't have that problem either -- I can't see how spray lubricant would help you there. It seems like that "fuzzy part" on the inside isn't intact for some reason. Sorry for the bad advice.

No, but after teaching my kids to close the doors after they get out, by pushing the black strip of molding (so as to not get thier sticky little fingers all over the paint), the rear passenger one is now torn. :mad:

Kids will be kids and family cars will be destroyed -- that's a fact of life. Sure, teach your kids to take care of stuff, I get that. But to ask kids to close the door by a rubber piece sounds absurd to me. You've got yahoos and pinheads in parking lots slamming their car doors into your car and you're imposing draconian measures on your kids. I don't get it.

I figure I can have a car kept in perfect condition at all times when the kids are up and out. Until then, what's the big deal? It's not like our cars are Rolls Royces...

Kids will be kids and family cars will be destroyed -- that's a fact of life. Sure, teach your kids to take care of stuff, I get that. But to ask kids to close the door by a rubber piece sounds absurd to me. You've got yahoos and pinheads in parking lots slamming their car doors into your car and you're imposing draconian measures on your kids. I don't get it.

I figure I can have a car kept in perfect condition at all times when the kids are up and out. Until then, what's the big deal? It's not like our cars are Rolls Royces...

I grew up riding in the back of a Pinto, so...

I'm just trying to teach my kids to respect and appreciate the nice things that they have. Yes 80% of their classmates/peers won't and don't appreciate anything ("Mommy will just buy me a new one if I break it"),and have zero respect for other peoples things. My kids may grow up to be elitists. Good!

I grew up riding in the back of a Pinto, so...

I'm just trying to teach my kids to respect and appreciate the nice things that they have. Yes 80% of their classmates/peers won't and don't appreciate anything ("Mommy will just buy me a new one if I break it"),and have zero respect for other peoples things. My kids may grow up to be elitists. Good!

Quoted for truth, although my childhood bus was a 73 VW Superbeetle.

If my kid(s) damage the car on accident, then so be it but they WILL know how to respect it (and all cars) properly.

BTW, my wife's 08 is not doing this, yet...

I agree. I watched my nephew several times on occasion door ding my sister in laws car. I would say no don't do that please and I would get a blank stare from the parents. They refused to say anything to their children and their Infiniti looks like it has been tapped with a hammer on both sides several dozen times. (They said quote: there just cars, get over it.) I would get sick to my stomach every time.

Now the kids are in their early teens and you can tell they learned nothing. They don't respect anything they own or that anyone else owns and never will. They will be the ones to leave a grocery cart out in the parking lot that will roll into your new Spec B.

My son is 16 months old. I have been teaching him the word NO for several months and he knows what I am saying now. He will also learn to respect other peoples property. On top of that he will learn how to take care of things to make them last.

The first step in teaching a child the word NO is to also tell them why. It pulls it all together.

Word up!

-Dante Alighieri

I agree. I watched my nephew several times on occasion door ding my sister in laws car. I would say no don't do that please and I would get a blank stare from the parents. They refused to say anything to their children and their Infiniti looks like it has been tapped with a hammer on both sides several dozen times. (They said quote: there just cars, get over it.) I would get sick to my stomach every time.

I think you guys are missing my point. I'm not saying that kids shouldn't learn to respect property/items/toys, etc. They should. Sure, it's good to teach your kids to not scratch the paint of a car or touch the paint unnecessarily. I'm all for that.

I don't know about where you guys live, but my car gets dirty in about 2 days after washing it. A kid's handprint is not going to hurt the point of your car and I'll tell you that mother nature can do much worse. Do you close the door using that rubber strip to avoid fingerprints on the paint? If so, then all I can say is WOW. It seems like you have too much concern for material things and not enough concern for people. Cars can be washed. You only have one chance to raise your kids.

Relax, we are not talking Howard Hughes here giving the white glove treatment to everything. I think we all know paint damage will come with age, but dings and dents caused by careless people that just don't care about other peoples things.

A lot of time it is jealousy we bring on by adding mods to our cars. Our cars look good and are fast, the sad thing is people resent that.

As for our children, they learn from us so watch what you do in front of them.

-Dante Alighieri

Archived