LegacyGT.com

LGT wagon, good price/ right choice

spartan

Ok here is my story. I used to own an 07 Legacy 2.5i. It just wasn't cutting the mustard after I sold my galant vr4. So I traded it in on an 06 WRX Limited. I am now beginning to feel like I shouldn't have rushed into it because I am now having to cut back financially a bit to make the payments and such. It's not I can't afford it I just don't really want to give up some of the things. Anyways, I was looking at getting back into the Legacy but with a GT this time. I have always liked the wagons and I found one for sale. 2005 RBP GT 5mt with 57,000 miles on it for $15,000. I have already the negotiated the price down so that is what the purchase price would be. Basically I am wondering if that is a true value for this car? The KBB on the car is only like $14,000 for it, so I am wondering if it will be difficult to finance because of this? Anyways, sorry for the novel, just looking for some insight.

Travis

The GT sedan or wagon? I got my '05 Wagon in OBP with the 5EAT for $17.5 with 23K on it and a ton of aftermarket... I looked for 2 months for a manual in my area and couldn't find one. I say go for it just because it has the manual... I'd check it out first and make sure the prior owner didn't hammer on it too much...

My .02

$15k sounds pretty good

My car's at over 55k and I sure wouldn't sell it for $15k ;)

The auctions I was looking at earlier in the summer show that $14-15k is about right for an 05 LGT sedan with 30-60k mi (aution volume isn't fantastic for these cars, and I never saw a wagon). the wgaon commands a somehwat higher premium.

If it's in good condition, go for it.

+1 for cheaper insurance and payments on the '05 GT Wagon. I had an '02 Leg GT sedan before and the insurance and payments were substantially higher....good thing the insurance doesn't know how much faster the new ride is!

Dude that doesnt make any sense, some tickets must have dropped off your record or you must have gotten older and got a discount. An 02 legacy wouldnt even worth as much as an 05 with lower miles and that has alot to do with how much your insruance is, and between a 05 sedan and 05 wagon the insurance difference for me wasnt even 10 dollars. They dont consider the sedan to be a sport sedan either, which is why the insurance on the lgt is cheaper than the WRX because that is considered a sports sedan.

Dude that doesnt make any sense, some tickets must have dropped off your record or you must have gotten older and got a discount. An 02 legacy wouldnt even worth as much as an 05 with lower miles and that has alot to do with how much your insruance is, and between a 05 sedan and 05 wagon the insurance difference for me wasnt even 10 dollars. They dont consider the sedan to be a sport sedan either, which is why the insurance on the lgt is cheaper than the WRX because that is considered a sports sedan.

Insurance doesn't really care what your car's worth at this level.

$20k is nothing to them

What they're worried about is bodily injury which is where payouts can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If a car, such as the WRX is often involved in injury accidents that will factor.

If the car is safer (due to airbags, etc), like the 05 LGT v. a 02, that will be a factor too

Insurance doesn't really care what your car's worth at this level.

$20k is nothing to them

What they're worried about is bodily injury which is where payouts can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If a car, such as the WRX is often involved in injury accidents that will factor.

If the car is safer (due to airbags, etc), like the 05 LGT v. a 02, that will be a factor too

So then the insurance in a 05 legacy gt would be cheaper than say a 2000 Trans am, that has maybe 2 air bags and t-tops which people call a death trap. Except full coverage on my 2000t/a was 120bucks a month and on the 2005 legacy gt which is by far the safe and slightly more expensive car its 194 a month. That kinda shoots your theory out the window. also whebn i got the legacy i still had the tickets i got when driveing the trans am and my legacy insurance was 240 a month compared to 127 a month for the T/A. 120 more a month lol than a red sports car

So then the insurance in a 05 legacy gt would be cheaper than say a 2000 Trans am, that has maybe 2 air bags and t-tops which people call a death trap. Except full coverage on my 2000t/a was 120bucks a month and on the 2005 legacy gt which is by far the safe and slightly more expensive car its 194 a month. That kinda shoots your theory out the window. also whebn i got the legacy i still had the tickets i got when driveing the trans am and my legacy insurance was 240 a month compared to 127 a month for the T/A. 120 more a month lol than a red sports car

That could be that 2000 Trans Ams actually have less injury accidents (in terms of payouts). Statistics don't always look like what you expect.

While value plays a part when it comes to accident coverage, it's a very small part of the equasion. T/As at this point are not generally daily drivers and that leads to lower accident rates (no winter or rain driving and less miles).

Theft and fire, value is pretty much everything combined with theft rates. That probably is a factor as well.

Ok I have a couple more questions regarding the car. I found out that the owner of the vehicle previous to this seller had at least an up-pipe and ecuteck installed. I did some research but I am struggling with some questions still. There were some threads saying that once you are tuned with ecutek the ecu is locked, is this true? In my wrx I am running a stage 2 open source tune, I would like to have this option for the legacy too. Will the car already having ecuteck affect my ability to mod the car via open source tunes?

You can flash ecutek over with APv2. Getting back to stock/os comaptible programming might be an issue. But ecutek tuners should be able to remove whatever map might be there.

i am almost 23 with 4 points on my license and i am insuring my new 05 LGT for only $1300 a year... to insure a WRX would have been $2000+ annually.

that savings alone makes the GT worth it!

EDIT: 2 of those points may have fallen off this past summer, don't really remember when i got that ticket last year.

Archived