LegacyGT.com

Service contract for a 05 LGT limited wagon

Hello All:

I have a 2005 Legacy GT limited wagon with 5EAT. Got it used with low miles and I don't drive much so it now has about 17k miles on it. Factory warranty runs out next month and I am thinking of buying the 72 month / 60,000mile service contract. The contract is with a company called Zurich or United Underwriters Group. Cost of the contract is $1321 and it seems to cover quite a bit. I intend to keep the car for quite a while and would like for it to be covered as long as possible. I should add that it has needed no work so far except for truing the brake rotors under warranty.

Consumer reports is not very positive on the notion of extended warranties or service agreements and my searches of this forum have turned up responses of "worthless" to "best money I every spent". I googled for the company but could not seem to find anything in the way of consumer feedback. While I am not keen to spend $1321 I am well aware that repair costs these days are pretty high. My wife's passat recently needed a water pump and timing belt and it was $960. Consequently, I imagine I am pretty likely to spend more than $1300 in the next 6 years even if it turns out to be only a few minor repairs. Of course one major issue and the $1300 will seem like a bargain.

So, help me out here guys: Am I buying into scare tactics or is this a reasonable purchase?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

The major expensive repairs are still covered for 5yrs/60,000 miles in the powertrain. Skip the warranty and bank the $1300 for uncovered items in the highly unlikely case they break. The $960 for timing belt/water pump is maintenance not warranty work on any car unless performed early.

not worth it!! I've got 99k on my car and I've JUST had my largest bill EVER in owning the car. $1100.00 to replace the clutch. Other than that I've gone through 3 sets of tires.

an absolute waste of $$. Especially if you can't get any info on them.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived