LegacyGT.com

Rearview Mirror Bubble?

Sup everyone. I awoke this morning to find an airbubble in my rearview mirror :-\. Windows were up and the doors were locked. Has anyone every had this happen, if so any options? Ill wait for some replies b4 i start tearing it apart :-p. Im gona try to dig up my digital camera and snap some pics of it also. Thanks in advance, Brandon.

02 Legacy GT limited

Is this an auto dimming mirror by any chance?

I know when they go bad, there is some distortion/discoloration and Subaru has redesigned them.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Acura had problems with the TL mirrors until a redesign by the supplier in 2004. If you call Magna Donnelley at 248 729-2400 they recognize the issue and will probably send you a free replacement. Unfortunately for Acura owners, Magna was told to refer complaints to Acura (who told owners to screw off). I would wrap that mirror in tinfoil because the goo inside eats through plastic and will damage your interior if it leaks.

You can just replace the mirror as a whole.

If I recall it should look like this one.

o_mirror.jpg

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

interesting read i found while browsing the net

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3449925

I believe I read elsewhere the "toxic" issue is bs, although if it eats plastic, it can't be too good for you. My Acura replacement mirror was $116 but they installed it for $5. Think Acura knows they have an issue?

I would call and ask for a free replacement for a defective product. It doesn't hurt to ask, and I can think of better things to do with $190.

I believe I read elsewhere the "toxic" issue is bs, although if it eats plastic, it can't be too good for you. My Acura replacement mirror was $116 but they installed it for $5. Think Acura knows they have an issue?

I would call and ask for a free replacement for a defective product. It doesn't hurt to ask, and I can think of better things to do with $190.

True, I dont have 200$ to drop ona rearview atm. Im gona call Donnelly as well as the dealership service dpt on Monday to see what can be done. As far as toxic chemicals and what not..the casing of the mirror still seems to be sealed shut pretty tight. I think it just went bad..? Anyways, thanks again for the info, we will see what I find out on Monday.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Today i called Magna Donnelly (thanks bluesuby) who refered me to a company called Sybesma's Electronics. Upon contacting them they emailed me a sheet for a replacement. It'll cost 75$ plus shipping..which sux, but beats the hell out of 190$ plus shipping. Still my check out pull-a-part so well see. Thanks agian.

Archived