LegacyGT.com

Subaru Not Reliable?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They seriously put audi above subaru wow. Just wow :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yup. They both got 3's on overall and powertrain, but on body suby got a 3 while audi got a 4, and on feature and accessories suby got a 2 while audi got a 4.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand/sortcolumn-1/descending/page-#page-anchor

Subaru went from the #1 most reliable (least number of problems per 100 cars) to the bottom?

Both of my 08 WRX's have had a number of issues. The sedan just had a new tranny and clutch put in, and now it squeaks (12,000 miles). The Hatch had the fender liner fall down, rear hatch panel pop out, Hill Holder turned off after driving in the snow, CEL for broken rear emissions canister purge valve.

* > 08 WRX

Which is why you should have got a legacy lol

I couldnt buy an 08 Legacy knowing that the 2010 will be 100% different. Wish I knew about the 09 WRX lol.

Besides 08 WRX = 08 Legacy basically

and I can watch movies on my Navi which the Spec.B for $5k more can't do.

I couldnt buy an 08 Legacy knowing that the 2010 will be 100% different. Wish I knew about the 09 WRX lol.

Besides 08 WRX = 08 Legacy basically

and I can watch movies on my Navi which the Spec.B for $5k more can't do.

Ohh wow my girlfriend is looking into a 08 2.5i Impreza. Maybe I should just nudge a little more towards a 06-07 Impreza which I like better but she doesn't. Or maybe find a low milaege 2000-2004 Legacy which she liked as well.

I like the 04 legacy sedan look but not the wagon. It would be nice if she would get a wagon for camping and road trips and stuff. Hence why I didn't mind the fact that she thinks the fugly 08 hatch looks "cute". But if it's a reliable POS I wouldn't suggest it to her because I would be the one hearing about it and fixing all the problems.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. I've had my Legacy GT! for a few months now, and was really beginning to question it's reliability. Turns out my car has the EJ25 phase one I think (which was not covered under the recall in 1998). Seems safe to say that on certain Subaru engines, at 100,000 miles you better start looking at putting in new head gaskets. However, now that that's done, I love the thing to death. All that BS is behind me now, and I really love the car. My family has had quite a few different cars over the years, a few Hondas, toyotas, dodge, chrysler, nissans. I personally would say that Honda was the most reliable, but we'll see here, I've only had the Subaru for a few months. It's proving to be a pretty sweet and reliable car, and I'm not a nice driver by any means...

You know JD power is full of crap when they rate Audi as more reliable than Subaru. Take a statistics class and you'll see how much false information is all around you.

Having had an Audi as my last car...no comparison. My Audi was at my mechanic every oil change with something else that needed doing at the same time. I was spedning a ridiculous amount on maintenance, which is why I traded it for a nice reliable Suby.

And besides even if they were close in reliability the Audi parts are like 4 times as expensive - $800 for an alternator, $279 for a fog light (speaking from experience :mad:)

And don't forget 82% of statistics are made up on the spot :p

Ah, good old statistics. You can get numbers and have them show you whatever the f... you want. When people talk about averages and you ask them what the standard deviation is and they don't have a damn clue, that's a sign their average means zilch. If there are 10 of us that make 30 grand a year and in walks Bill Gates, hot damn, we're probably millions richer on average ... with a standar deviation of several hundred million from the average, so ...

What is with the interior build quality? I've seen Nissans rated higher. Have you ever seen THEIR interior? It makes a 92 Saturn SL2 look like a Benz. Take a panel or two off the interior, you will find sound deadening material. No such luck on other similar cars. Really, this interior is just about the most meticulously and well built as any for a car in this price range and definitely above average.

As for oil leaks. Zero in ten years of driving several Subarus. I drive them hard and I never have an oil spot in the drive way. The only Subaru I ever saw with an oil leak was my sister in-laws that just got the oil changed at Jippy Lube. Go figure.

That's amazing. Both of mine have leaked, but they were both over 8 years old. One cam seal and the other was a valve cover. I think very cold winters reduced the life of those parts. Normal wear and tear though at that age.

My Legacy is pretty reliable. Well other than the coilpack falling off because a bolt snapped after not being properly tightened following my timing belt replacement...by Subaru.

Ok, here's the deal on JD Power. It is based on visits to the dealer, as previously noted. The Subies, especially recently, have seen a LOT of major revisions - 2005 model year Legacy, 2008 model year Impreza, 2006 Tribeca, 2009 Forester.

With major revisions come lots of minor problems. Like the '05 Legacies burning through headlights faster than gas. Or the ECU recall for the stuck cooling fans. Is a burnt out headlight a reliability issue? Not really, it's an inconvenience. Is the cooling fan being on a reliablility problem? Maybe ... but again more of an inconvenience, which they fixed.

But what you will see with those comparisons is that Companies like Mitsubishi and AUDI will rate very low on expected "long term reliabilty" and Subaru is going to rate fairly high on long term reliability. Long term is what you should be concerned with, because that is going to be a stronger indication of whether the car STARTS reliably for the long haul. While AUDI might have beat out Subaru in INITIAL reliability, it can't hold a candle to Subaru's long term dependability.

As for Hyundai, I actually expect them to be higher in dependability than Subaru. Hyundai is the new Honda and Toyota.

Overall, you can ask your girlfriend, is she more interested in long term reliabilty with some minor inconveniences, or would she prefer to have a new A4 loaner when her car is in for an engine or transmission issue? (Be careful ... this might not be as obvious as one might think.)

I agree with everyone else, I dont know where JDpower is getting this..

The 1 year that I had my chevy truck it was in for service more than the 3 years I've had my LGT. (knock on wood!!)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

:mad: Hmmm all of a sudden not feeling quite so good about reliability. Admittedly have 74,000 miles, but since it just had a major service, I'm a little disappointed. So last night my check engine light comes on, the sport mode light starts flashing as does the cruise control light - and the y all stay on while I'm driving. So sport mode does not work, cruise control does not work and the transmission is a little clunky at low speeds, when slowing down:spin:

Anyone got any ideas, please before I panic about a major repair bill :confused:

EDIT: Well perhaps I spoke to soon after searching the forums, I certainly don't seem to be the first to have this issue. But there didn't seem to be a consensus on cause or fix. Just hoping it's gone away when I start her up this morning...

Both the Impreza and Legacy have gotten very good reviews in Consumer Reports for the last several years.

Don't have the article in front of me but the negative points with the LGT were poor gas mileage and poor brakes. Don't think there are any surprises there. Other than that ... very highly rated.

EDIT: Well perhaps I spoke to soon after searching the forums, I certainly don't seem to be the first to have this issue. But there didn't seem to be a consensus on cause or fix. Just hoping it's gone away when I start her up this morning...

:mad: Well sadly, no I didn't speak too soon as it would appear that pretty much anyone else on here (that I could find) with a similar problem, fixed itself or was caused by wheel spinning in the snow or suchlike.

But not me (sob). So after spending lots of money on my 60,000 mile service recently - admittedly a little late at 70,000 but whatev - I am now very unhappy to find that I apparently have to replace the Front Vehicle Speed Sensor in the transmission - which of course only comes as part of a harness for $365, never mind the labor involved to open up the tranny!!:(

So there you have it, not saying an unreliable car per se, but not what I expected from Subaru at only 75,000 miles. I guess I'll stick with boring old Toyota from now on.:spin:

You guy's wait till you get to try NZ's subies. We have all the old JDM exiles here. V1-6 STi's, BG/BH Twin Turb Legacy's... They... They be unreliable.

My 1994 Liberty LX had 275,000KM's on the clock, and was rock solid. Sold it and bought a 1998 GTB with 115,000k's on the clock. Blew a big end bearing within 3 months. Big end's are common as fark over here, these cars get driven by moron's who don't care for them, rape them while cold, run shitty low octane, use crap oil etc etc. It's almost better to buy the car, and rebuild the engine before it damages itself almost! Turbo subaru's in New Zealand are known for their unreliability, shortly following are the evo's. The rotor's are less reliable.

Archived