LegacyGT.com

Subaru Not Reliable?

I always thought subaru was reliable. I am trying to convince my girlfriend to get a Subaru since her Mitsubishi is falling apart on her. But I just looked up the JD Power dependibility ratings and subaru is way down near the bottom. For amount of problems, Audi, Mitsubishi, and even Hyundai beat subaru. Hell they were 3/4 of the way down the list and just a tad higher then chevy. What is happening is subaru's reliability going out the window? Now I have no info to back me up. Is JD full of it what should I go to when showing reviews? Or should I just have her look into a accord, or camry or something?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JD Power is for old baby boomers that drive their car a few thousand miles a year and then do not have issues. Example: Someone that drives a Buick.

I have never had a problem with my Subarus that I did not bring on myself. Mods Etc.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

I agree with above remarks about Consumer Reports.

You treat the car right, or purchase a used one from someone who treated it right, and there won't be any problems. I think that is typical with many other makes as well.

Other than typical maintenance, I have had no problems on the 4 subarus I have owned.

One I had for 225,000 miles, and I sold it to a guy who lives in Tenn. He drove it from CT home with no issues at all.

I agree with above remarks about Consumer Reports.

You treat the car right, or purchase a used one from someone who treated it right, and there won't be any problems. I think that is typical with many other makes as well.

Voices of reason are rare and hard to spot, with the Internet as it is now.

This here is a rare example. Take a picture before it's gone.

I would imagine the reported issues with subarus are due to consumers over driving or not caring for their cars. I'm sure if you were to look at ANY car manuf that carries a line of turbo'd vehicles, their "reliability" would be much lower due to people blowing up their cars by their own doing. I have raced, abused, beaten on my 3 turbo'd Subies and they have been rock solid because we make sure all the maintenance is done and done correctly. Next vehicle will most likely be another Subie and the one after that and the one after that.... it's all a matter of maintenance and an understanding that when you modify any vehicle, you are taking it out of the manuf specs and the opportunity for things to go wrong are greater. Also, because many of the models are turbo'd, people will drive their car harder and "abuse" it more than the average 4 banger.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Bullshit!!! I'm a service manager for a Dodge/Chrysler dealer and I drive a Subaru. (Chrysler actually does have a model or two with great reliability!) My car has 56,000 hard miles. It's been down the quarter mile at least 130 times.

This car IS reliable.

PREACH IT!

Mine's got 84K on it (only an '05) and has had zero reliability problems, the only parts I've replaced thus far are go fast toys (and look fast :D ) and stuff that comes in bottles.

edit: food for thought; WRX's are often owned/driven by irresponsible drivers (know of quite a few 16 yr olds w/ wrx's... i wouldn't give my kid a wrx if you put a gun to my head) with too heavy a lead foot... beaten the jesus out of with no respect for the car or its needs if you're gonna beat it. Perhaps that drives the #'s down?

Guest heightsgtltd

Yeah,

There are a ton of threads on here about how reliable Subys are. It's not to say that there are not one's with problems, but the majority are trouble free.

I have had mine for 3 years and not a single issue. My mom has an Outback sport 01 or 02 model that has needed nothing more than routine oil changes, etc.

That makes a good point. Hence why the Legacy is faster then the WRX but still is cheaper on insurance. It's all about the drivers. But I also looked at the Legacy specifically 2006 which is my year. And they gave it a bad ratings on body and interior quality mechanical, Body and interior quality design, feature and instrument panel, and Styling. JD go F yourself. The design of the legacy is awesome, it has amazing lines and looks great. And the intrument panel is BA. The interior is at least average, I am just insulted and want to know who makes this BS reviews.

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?makeid=45&modelid=410&year=2006&myid=&mode=&crpPage=jdpower.jsp&section=jdpower&aff=national

As for oil leaks. Zero in ten years of driving several Subarus. I drive them hard and I never have an oil spot in the drive way. The only Subaru I ever saw with an oil leak was my sister in-laws that just got the oil changed at Jippy Lube. Go figure.

Remember the people that are spoken for in the JD Power ratings are people that have all their service done at Jippy Lube, Quippy Lube, Get Lubed, Whatever, they all take advantage of people.

We all suffer the trickle down effect of a bad lube job. Pardon the Pun.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

JD Powers has some dubious ratings. Some are based on visits to dealer, which may or may not be an indication of a reliability problem. You need to be aware of what the rating's actually about.

Subarus seem to be durable. But they may have more initial dealer visits for rattles, noises, solving the parking light "on" problem, etc.

Archived