LegacyGT.com

Owned by the stock suspension!!

Regal05LGT

Suspension install today was goin great, fronts went in no problem, when it came to the rear struts, the f%#$ing bolts would not break no matter what we tried, impact gun, breaker bar, etc. So now I'm sittin like a muscle car until I can bring it in to a shop tomorrow lol. Just wanted to vent, anyone got any crazy ideas how to get them loose before I gotta pay to get them done????? (Koni/Swift BTW) Thanks,

You can try putting breaker bar and using a jack to raise it to break to bolt.

It worked for me before, although last time on my LGT #2 we had to take two breaker bars, one with 1 meter long pipe and two dudes putting their full force on them. Really crazily overtorqued by the Lafayette gorillas.

Btw, my supposedly 600 ft/lbs. IR air impact wrench would not budge these bolts. I believe 1000 ft/lbs. Snapon does.

I sprayed them, got on both ends like whobaru suggested (with a breaker and impact gun) I even heated the nuts with mapp gas..... NOTHING MOVED!!!!! I think I'm just gonna bring it into the shop tomorrow n see what they can do. I really can't see the necessity of these being so tight lol, I'm out of ideas

longest hammer you can get on the bolt + big hammer usually get it loose the couple of times my impact gun couldnt get it off while doing installs. i never had to resort to putting a jack on the wrench though

Tried pounding on the breaker bar with a 5 lb sledge hammer lol

Jack up the wrench so that the car is resisting it. I promise there is not 3000 ft-lbs of torque on that bolt ;)

Can be bit tricky. I was compressing suspension already and the bolt would not budge. But two breaker bars, one pipe and two people did the trick.

Btw, the amount of overtorquing varies. My wagon #2 was particularly bad. With a fellow member we did two suspension swaps one day and his car went relatively easy. Mine was a bitch. Both with stock untouched suspension.

Suspension install today was goin great, fronts went in no problem, when it came to the rear struts, the f%# bolts would not break no matter what we tried, impact gun, breaker bar, etc. So now I'm sittin like a muscle car until I can bring it in to a shop tomorrow lol. Just wanted to vent, anyone got any crazy ideas how to get them loose before I gotta pay to get them done????? (Koni/Swift BTW) Thanks,

Pictures! We need pictures!! :)

longest hammer you can get on the bolt + big hammer usually get it loose the couple of times my impact gun couldnt get it off while doing installs. i never had to resort to putting a jack on the wrench though

Ha, but if I remember correctly your impact zipped off the bolts on my wagon #1 like nothing.

Kinda dark so you can't see much but......

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/NKB46/12-30-07002.jpg

Front

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/NKB46/12-30-07003.jpg

Rear

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/NKB46/12-30-07004.jpg

Thinkin about leavin it and puttin some fat a$$ tires on the rear and goin back to the muscle car era :lol:

Dude, you have a somewhat rare opportunity to have some fun drifting your car. With the back up that high it should come out easy and the car should spin like a top. I had my Acura like this for a day (similar story) and MAN was it a blast to drift in a parking lot!

yeah I had the same problem.

was gonna swap struts with h-techs with a member and I installed the front but couldn't get the back off with 2 guys both of us weigh over 220 and both had breaker bars on either side and neither of them wanted to budge.

so I swapped the stock stuff back on and still have no suspension :(

Archived