LegacyGT.com

STRI Gauges, dimming options?, user opinions wanted.

Detslider

How does the "dimming function" work on these?

through the car dimm function !

Mark.

has this been verified in a Legacy GT? Our dimming function is digital for lack of better terms (its not like an analog potentiometer)... no gauge I have installed onto the illum wire will dim with the dash.

Just finished the electrical portion of the install...the gauge does not dim through the car's dim function. It does dim slightly when you turn on the lights...but it cannot be controlled through the dimmer switch.

Questions:

Does the dimming work (i.e. can it be wired to lights, so the illumination level goes down at night)?

They do dim with the lights, and it matches the car on ILL.6 pretty good, but I like driving around at ILL.1 when I'm out of town and there are no street lights, helps me focus on the road better.

from http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57417&highlight=GAUGES

I'm thining about buying these gauges but am a little concerned that there is no way to dim them.

I have an '06 LGT and therefore don't have the dimmer display on the cluster to reference what "ILL.6" is like. Those that have these gauges what are you opinions on the brightness; not a problem or too bright?

Any electrical buffs want to comment on the difficulty of wiring in an independent dimming switch to each gauge?

• 4 weeks later...

The wiring harness of the STRI gauges is pretty basic.

I have the DSD series which daisy chain together (connect in series) so only one wiring harness is needed to power all the gauges.

The four conections that need to be made are

1. 12V Constant (I connected directly to the battery for this)

2. Ignition, 12V power when ignition is on. (I connected to a blue wire that led into the wiring harness under the center console accesory aka cigarette plug)

3. Light switch (I connected to the purple wire leading into the dash dimmer switch)

4. Ground (tapped into the ground I made for my stereo install)

The gauges power up fine and illuminate when the headlights come on but damn they are bright. They match the dash when it's at it's full brightness. The gauges are easily seen thru my window at night despite the 15% tint.

I'm beginning to research the idea of splicing in a resistor or potentiometer but my electrical knowledge is basic. Any pros want to comment on the idea?

Archived