LegacyGT.com

Fog Light Problems

SubieChik

I was just wondering if anyone else has problems with their fog lights blowing a lot. What would cause this. I recently replaced my passenger fog light and 2 days later the driverside one went out. It is extremely annoying and it is prolly the 5th or 6th time it has happened......so I figured instead of wasting more money I will try and figure out what it could be (I probably should have stopped wasting money the 2nd or 3rd time :lol: ).

Any help is much appreciated.

Are you making sure you're not touching the bulb with your fingers when installing? Oil from fingers can make them burn out pretty quick... also make sure the lenses are sealed and no moisture is getting to the bulb.

My husband told me this morning that he noticed that one of the lenses has condensation in it. How would I fix that??

I don't know what it is....it is weird though. If I replace the left one.....the right one blows. If I replace the right one.....the left one blows. If replace both....well then it is just luck of the draw as to which one goes out :lol: However they have not both ever been blown at the same time.:confused:

My husband told me this morning that he noticed that one of the lenses has condensation in it. How would I fix that??

I don't know what it is....it is weird though. If I replace the left one.....the right one blows. If I replace the right one.....the left one blows. If replace both....well then it is just luck of the draw as to which one goes out :lol: However they have not both ever been blown at the same time.:confused:

If you have condensation inside of the lens then that is most likely your problem. Are the gaskets around the back of the housing seating well? Do they have visible cracks or does the lens housing? You may need new Fogs and from the dealer they will be $$$. My advice is to go with a HID upgrade and you wont need your fogs anymore.

Also, When you replace the bulbs can you see the filament inside of the burnt bulb or is it all black inside?

I had issues with my OEM headlights burning out on my 05 OBXT. The dealer replaced them saying they were warranted because of a Subaru issue. This happened twice.

As for after market bulbs. I had a real issue in my 2001 Outback with the Silverstars burning out because I used them a lot at night driving 35 miles to work one way. Advanced Auto gave my money back twice.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

Also, When you replace the bulbs can you see the filament inside of the burnt bulb or is it all black inside?

They are usually all black inside.

I had issues with my OEM headlights burning out on my 05 OBXT. The dealer replaced them saying they were warranted because of a Subaru issue. This happened twice.

As for after market bulbs. I had a real issue in my 2001 Outback with the Silverstars burning out because I used them a lot at night driving 35 miles to work one way. Advanced Auto gave my money back twice.

My '05 2.5i always had the headlights blowing.....I couldn't figure out why.

Do you have your fogs turned on all the time, even in daylight?

I always leave them on. I have had fog lights on my last 2 cars and this is the first one that I have had a problem with.

From Osram.com:

Question

Which fault mechanisms affect the life of miniature incandescent (halogen) bulbs in automotive applications (lamps with small filament diameters)?

Answer

Vibration and shock

The ambient temperature in the headlight or luminaire

The power supply

Corrosion in socket leading to poor contact between the socket connectors and the bulb

Other factors, including inadequate quality or poor handling during the production process by the lamp manufacturer, the setmaker or the car manufacturer.

......................I always leave them on. I have had fog lights on my last 2 cars and this is the first one that I have had a problem with.

Are you in the habit of leaving the headlight and fog switch always in the "on" position, 24/7?

You could take a dremel and drill tiny air holes in the housing in an inconspicuous place.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived