LegacyGT.com

the perfect hamburger?

Jerboa113

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been on the quest for the perfect hamburger, and I have found it. Keep it simple, and don't get all crazy with it.

Number 1: decent quality hamburger, 85/15

Number 2: Don't molest the meat. Pull enough off from the mass for one burger, and lightly flatten it out with your hand. The less handling the better, maybe 5 pats. Keep the natural grain of the ground meat intact. It doesn't need to look perfect on the edges.

Number 3: sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Number 4: Grill over very high heat. 4 minutes, flip, cheese after two minutes, wait 2 minutes more, pull it off (just before the juices start flowing out.) Don't lift the lid and watch it, and only flip it once.

Whatever you do, don't go kneading the meat with you hands, squishing it between your fingers. That makes a tough, dense burger.

There's nothing fancy about hamburgers, keep it simple.

• 3 weeks later...

My preferred burger?

Meat from a good source, like my wife's uncle's cattle farm. Lean meat is better, but I'm not picky about that. Then spice the meat a little (emphasis on cracked pepper), and maybe put it in a simple marinade overnight in the fridge.

Toppings for me would be vidalia onion, a big tomato slice, lettuce & fresh spinach. Cheese doesn't so much matter, so long as it's good quality, but if it's cheddar I prefer mild to sharp. Then a really good BBQ sauce, though not much. Ketchup is okay but I've started to prefer BBQ or maybe a little salad dressing.

Medium rare, and grill the bun. Which I like a little thinner; bulky rolls kill it, for me. Good quality bread, grilled too!

Yep, that'll put a smile on my face. :D My wife and I love homemade burgers. I often get one when I go out, but by halfway through, I'm usually bored. I'm no expert chef, but 95% of the time I can make a better burger than the restaurants.

Number 4: Grill over very high heat. 4 minutes, flip, cheese after two minutes, wait 2 minutes more, pull it off (just before the juices start flowing out.) Don't lift the lid and watch it, and only flip it once.

Whatever you do, don't go kneading the meat with you hands, squishing it between your fingers. That makes a tough, dense burger.

There's nothing fancy about hamburgers, keep it simple.

Yup. Even Alton Brown has been trying to beat this into our heads, for years. :D DON'T over-knead the meat, and for pete's sake don't squish it with the spatula, when it's on the grille. Get the grille to temperature, and know how much time it takes for your preferred done-ness. Medium rare is usually about four minutes per side, like Scrim said.

The best burger joints keep it simple. The one thing in common is they grind their own meat. I have yet to do that but I understand you can get a great burger by using a food processor to chop up cubes or sirloin and chuck.

Best burgers are simple. I move into a town and within a week i've hit every burger joint in a 3-10 mile radius. Different places have different tastes even though its the same meal.

Fat content on a burger doesn't really matter if you are grilling it for the most part, but if you want a great tasting burger go with ground chuck or ground sirloin. i've had ribeye burgers which was overkill (a friend owns a restaraunt in the area and throw a party for a few friends who helped him roof his house). Fresh/Self ground beef is the way to go if possible, but quality of the meat is probably the most important. Good buns also help out (i like the sarah lee soft and whatever ones).

I havent tried buffalo. There's a "Ted's" on my way home from work but I refuse to eat there cos ted turner is a raving lunatic.

I found an interesting spice bottled under the "weber" name called "gourmet burger."

It has the usual seasoning salt which is the majority of the seasoning, but it also has garlic and dried green and red pepers iirc. It gives the burger a bit of a spicy taste.

My last burger I screwed up and burned it (stupid george foreman grill.. if it werent free I would ask for a refund.. it burns 1 side and leaves the other bloody.. ) but I imagine on normal burgers its pertty good :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Did you ever try buffalo meat for your burger? I've had it before and thought it was better than beef.

i've had buffalo and elk, both are tastey but id reserve those for a particular time of the year (hunting season). in general beef can make a pretty fine burger.

• 3 weeks later...

my friend told me about this awhile back and i tried it myself:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Hot_Dog_Rollup

i used cheddar cheese instead of crap american. and hickory smoked bacon.

it turned out fairly well and the taste was....interesting. definitely felt i was going to die afterwards.

more on point:

i've always wanted to check out this joint in PA:

http://www.latimes.com/features/custom/oddnews/la-on-burger18-2008oct18,0,4726804.story

too bad someone already ate the thing. :spin:

Warning

This should not be made or consumed by anyone with heart problems, liver/kidney disease, diabetics, anyone who is pregnant or nursing, the clinically obese, vegetarians, anyone who wants to live past 35 without having a heart attack, also anyone with any health problems what-so-ever. I take no responsibility any actions or death that results from this thread and recipe.

:lol::lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...

I go with the Lipton Secret Recipe's Beefy Onion Soup mix...but don't use ALL the powder from the pouch. Definately use all the dried onions in the mix. You will never have a dry burger again. (Using the whole package in 1 lb. ground beef tends to make the burger more --- meat-loafy in taste and texture.)

...Or the mushroom/onion Lipton stuff...it all works.

Archived