LegacyGT.com

4th Gear grinding?

gryffinwings

I'm having issues with my 5MT on my 2001 Outback, well that's what my fiance is saying since I'm not home for another month. She says the 4th gear is grinding a bit at engage, not any other gears are having issues though, not to mention she says engagement takes longer than usual. Not sure of all the symtoms yet. The clutch and flywheel are fairly new, installed last year along with new fluid. Should I just get the 4th gear syncro changed or should I just go ahead and get a rebuild done on the tranny? The transmission itself has 170k miles on it or more since I drove it last.

How much am I looking at just changing the syncros? or doing the rebuild?

Decide if you want to keep the car. If yes have the tranny rebuilt. I would guess figure $1000.00.

If she's careful and shifts slow into 4th, does it grind?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's a slight grind under normal shifting. I'm looking at replacing the entire gearset with an LGT gearset that I'm hearing about 05 and up. I'm just wondering now what I need for this gearset to work with my 2001 Subaru Outback. My stock final drive is 3.9, would I be able to keep that, or would I need to change to the 4.1 and change the rear diff to a 4.1 as well?

Archived