LegacyGT.com

Subwoofer Suggestion

chikmagnet

Hey Guys I need some suggestions for a free air 8" sub for the rear deck lid.

Also it is possible for me to build a small enclosure out FG to go under the deck lid but i would prefer free air.

But all suggestion are welcomed

Btw I have over 12 years in car audio both sales and install, I have just been out of it for a little while so dont know what is out there.

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

I doubt you would really prefer "free air"....I think what you are referring to is infinite baffle. For that you will need to COMPLETELY seal off the trunk from the interior of the car; no air leaks whatsoever.

On a related note; there aren't a whole lot of infinite baffle 8" subs. Most of IB capabilities go hand in hand with cone area so an 8 is already at a disadvantage.

But I realize that you are trying to get in the pre cut hole that is in the rear deck already so we can run with that. I would go with a sealed box right under the opening. Either fiberglass it or find some type of plastic dome that could be bolted and sealed to the underside of the rear deck. That will work as an enclosure.

chikmagnet.

You are forgetting one detail, you not only need a free-air 8 inch sub (Image Dynamics ID8 is free-air capable), you have around 3 or so inches of depth to work with. (ID8 is 4.75 in deep)

With your trunk open, it looks like you have space, but the trunk tensioners get in your way when you close your trunk, and will limit your sub depth.

I would love to do the same thing, and was thinking a shallow mount sub should work. Now, won't a free air at least have better bass than no sub whatsoever? I mean, obviously sealing the trunk is a great idea, but not really attainable.

Not a hijack, just wondering.

see the thing about the trunk tensioners is I am going to remove them and either do struts or some kind of direct spring to trunk lid arm connection.

If I go as far as to build an enclosure for the sub I will build it for either 2 8's or 1 10.

I do have exp wth ID i had 2 id8 ver2's in my Mini S, fiber and wood enclosure flushed into the floor. I might even have pics of it

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

If you're getting rid of the bars, try the Image Dynamics ID8 without an enclosure. I talked to the engineers at Image Dynamics, and they say that you could get very good results with that.

If it doesn't sound good enough, then add an enclosure.

If you're getting rid of the bars, try the Image Dynamics ID8 without an enclosure. I talked to the engineers at Image Dynamics, and they say that you could get very good results with that.

If it doesn't sound good enough, then add an enclosure.

Yeah, ID subs are all able to be run infinite baffle. The trick is you HAVE to seal the trunk from the cabin of the car. If you don't it will sound like ass and not get very loud at all. If you could trim out a little of the hole and mount a 10" sub then I would go for the Image Dynamics IDQ. A 10 will yield MUCH better results when IB.

I have a single 10 in the trunk right now (Mtx t451004) in a FB enclosure mold into the rear passenger side corner of the trunk it looks very nice back there but doesnt yeild the bass output or quality i am looking for.

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

I guess it would probably help to know exactly what I have in the car right now

Head unit - Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro w/ Alpine 6.5in Touch screen for control and visual

Front and rear door speakers - Alpine Type X 6.5 Components

Sub Amp - Mt thunder 801d ( i also have a mtx thunder 1501d it needs to be repaired though and that might a bit too much power for any application that I would do now in any of my rides)

Highs and Mids Amp - Alpine MRA-F350 Dolby Digital 5-channel theatre amp

Sources - Sirius Direct tuner, Ipod High Speed direct connect, Factory head unit for cd (Contemplating a dvd player or changer)

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

Pioneer Premier and Kicker both have shallow mount 8" subs that one could install in the rear package tray in a FG enclosure and retain the trunk rods.

I've been playin with the idea on paper, but haven't built it yet. To be honest I hate the OEM HU so much, I can't decide how I want to tackle the issue. I don't want two radios in the dash, but I don't have the time to hack to CBs to retain my HVAC controls nor the $$$ to pay someone else to do that much custom work.

I swear there is a lot of money to be made for the persons that fix the JDM to USDM HVAC control swap out issues.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Archived