LegacyGT.com

Tire recommendation for Dallas, TX

Blaze

I recently had a flat on my '05 LGT, probably ran on it too long before realizing it (d'oh!), and now I have to replace the tire. Rather than replacing the single tire, I am contemplating the replacement of all tires...and maybe selling the 3 remaining stock tires.

I have searched around the forums tonight trying to find some good recommendations for some nice performance tires that will work well for me in my area (Dallas, TX), but really haven't found much. It doesn't snow much here...we might get a few days of snow/ice (mostly ice) each year...and I don't want to swap out summer & winter tires like you guys do in the colder climates. I would still like there to be minimal road noise & comfy ride, but would like them to handle well during spirited driving. I'm not too concerned with poor tread wear ratings. My car is completely stock now, but by this spring I was hoping to get an AccessPort...and maybe a few other small bolt-ons (lightweight crank pulley, etc.). I won't ever be racing my car on the track, it's purely my daily driver...and I commute about 30 miles a day for work...mostly on the highway. I will be sticking with the stock wheels.

What tires would you guys suggest for my situation? I am looking for options by tomorrow morning so that I can get my tire situation taken care of and get this dang donut off my car. I appreciate your opinions, and please forgive my tire ignorance. Thank you.

Heh, I decided to come back and give you more tire choices (in case the tire shop you goto is odd)

Falken Azenis RT-215 (summer tire)

Falken Ziex 512s (all season)

Kumho ASX (all season)

Dunlop SP Sport FM901 (summer tire)

Bridgestone Potenza G009 (all season)

Toyo T1-S (summer tire)

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season)

Michelin MXM (all season)

Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (all season)

Yokohama AVS dB S2 (all season)

You can get any of these tire sizes and they will be fine on OEM rims:

205/50/17

215/45/17

225/45/17

Keefe

Keefe

Keefe,

Holy crap that's a lot of options! Thanks for all the great info...I will try to dig through those and figure something out by tomorrow.

Also, are there any pros/cons about straying from the original tire specs of 215/45 on these 17" wheels?

as listed above and in the FAQ about offsets, I have compiled all the tire sizes that are within 2% of speed error correction (I dont think it really matters for most of us driving 63 mph when the speedo say 60mph). I made additional notes of which tire size is good for daily driving and what not. For the race sizes, I will make a note of it as well to let whoever is going to use that tire, will either be out of the 2% range. In this case, Blaze is looking for daily driving and no-track time. So I listed the only tires he needs for his OEM rims and he can use for daily driving. The 2% wont harm the diffs or ABS of that sort, so long that ALL the tires are the same size on all four corners. The tire pressures for those sizes are +/- off by 2 psi from the OEM size, so that's easy enough to fix on it's own.

I run 225/45/17s of 3 different tire manufacturers for daily driving if that's what you are asking about if I have personal experience on tires. I opted to go with a larger tire overall to save my rims from pothole damages and run the tire pressures a little bit higher for more responsiveness.

Keefe

Keefe

What about these?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=145WR7M550XL

Anyone have any experience with them?

Seem to test well (in tirerack tests) and reviews are good too. Also, in 215/45/17 and 225/45/17, they come in XL (extra load), which might be good for us wagon owners too. (FYI... the Proxes 4 are also XL in those sizes)

I don't know how loud the Toyo T1-S are, but they've been recommended to me by "the" suspension brakes guy here in Austin. Excellent dry, and good wet. The Kumho MX is a little better in the dry, but a little worse in the wet. I will be going with the MX when I replace tires, as I enjoyed them on my WRX.

T1-S arent as loud as say a race DOT tire like Yokohama Advan R032, A048s and Dunlop Super Sport Race. Those tires are louder than your stock engine at 4k rpms. Toyo T1-S, Nitto 555Rs, Bridgestone S03s are quieter than the Kumho MX and the Falken Azenis RT-215s. The Falken ST-115s are pretty quiet like the Toyo T1-S, but the T1-S is an overall better tire.

Keefe

Keefe

Skip on the Michelin MXM's. They were OE on my Mazda6 and they inspire the same kind of comments the RE-92's do over here.

The recommendations were also all over the place relative to the performance traits of each tire. Ranging from soft riding all season (ASX) to sticky, loud near race tire (Azenis RT-215).

I'd say for what the original poster said of his priorities, the Toyo Proxes 4, Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S, Yokohama AVS bd S2 and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

The Toyo T1-S would be very livable on the street. It's a summer tire, so it's going to perform better in most conditions in Texas than the all season tires. For this reason, I always use summer tires now (I'm also in Dallas). The one downside to the summer tires is the treadlife. But for me the sidewall strength and overall traction in dry & wet conditions you get with summer tires make it worthwhile.

I would have gotten the Toyo's except that Discount Tire didn't carry it. And I wanted to buy from Discount Tire since there are so many locations in the area. So I got the Yokohama AVS ES100 which is a comparable tire to the T1-S. Either would be a good choice.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick response and all the info. I went ahead and had the dealer replace the stock tire. It cost me $70 after the warranty (Added Security - Gold Plus) paid for $150 of it. As much as I would've liked to change all the tires to something better, I went with this more economical option. At the rate I'm going, these tires probably won't last me more than a year & a half anyways.

Archived