LegacyGT.com

1997 legacy gt auto vs. manual

ladysmanfelpz

First off i am new to the forums. I see it has info about the newer legacy's but am not seeing much love for my old 1997. And i hope i am posting in the right area, so please don't be mad if I am breaking any rules. But i just have a quick question.

How does the automatic compare to the manual transmission on a 1997 legacy 2.5 gt performance wise?

I have an auto and my friend has the same car in manual. He has been adding performance parts to his such as intake, exhaust, clutch and soon to add headers and intake manifold and ignition. I have always seen it as pointless to do engine upgrades in an automatic, but i have seen more autos tuned up on the web than manuals. Plus i am getting quite jealous taht his car is faster than mine. Im starting to add more. I got a new intake, but as far as performance wise, should i do anything more? Does the auto provide a good powertrain to make it still a fast car?

welcome to the forum

I think a member "AKLGT" had a screamin' auto (and sold it).

I haven't seen many autos from our old school generation that stick out in my mind as "fast"

but do whatever makes you happy. I wouldn't worry about blowing up your transmission, and I definitely wouldn't worry about not making enough power to match your friend.

And any minute someone will suggest a swap...

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

Also feel free to check out the Older Legacy Performance section. We have tons of advice for the older gen Legs (like yours). I've got a 96 with an AT. Done a few light mods and haven't had any issues.

Only real downsides to an auto is you can't really do a proper launch, down shift for corners (yes you can, but don't do it), or rev match your shifts.

However, one cool thing i've learned from auto x-ing an AT is that if you plant the throttle in mid corner, it makes the AT pick the right gear, and the car's lag won't be there, and you can acually make a good corner.

Also makes it possible to shift mid corner without totally destroying the ballance of the car (some track setups this is necissary on my car to keep my speed high).

Don't feel bad about modding an AT. Just be mindful that if you add crazy horsepower, things might go wrong. Since you have the GT, you already have more power (lucky bastard) and a slightly bigger engine.

As far as mods go, I'd say go for intake, exhaust, better pads, good set of rubber, and a stiffer rear swaybar (not sure how stiff the GT's are, but mine was pretty weak with the paper clip they call a bar). Then after that, if you still want more, prob headers / mani / ignition.

I'm a firm believer in when you do a power upgrade you should also improve either braking or handling, so you can actually use the power.

Welcome to the forums!!!!

ya alright thanks. thats what i was thinking. maybe just intake exhaust and a sway bar. im more into having a car with good gas mileage and a nice sound system than something that is hella fast. does anyone know the 0-60 times on an auto compared to a manual for a 1997 gt? and where is the older legacy forums?

Archived