LegacyGT.com

FYI: Duties/taxes associated w/ shipping wheels/tires to Canada

teducci

FYI: When shipping wheels and tires to Canada, all Canadians should consider the following duties/taxes associated with such a purchase.

(all below mentioned duties apply only if item is not made in North America)

All rims (new or used) coming into Canada have a duty of 7%

All tires (new or used) coming into Canada have a duty of 6%

Plus

Your respective Provincial sales tax

Your Goods and Services tax

Thus when purchasing wheel/tires of i.e., $1000 value, your minimal duties will be 13%, plus all your taxes. So for anyone living in i.e., Ontario, this adds another 13% (PST 8%, GST 5%) for a combined total of 26% duties/taxes. As a result, the $1000 wheels are now costing you US $1260..plus shipping

FYI: When shipping wheels and tires to Canada, all Canadians should consider the following duties/taxes associated with such a purchase.

(all below mentioned duties apply only if item is not made in North America)

All rims (new or used) coming into Canada have a duty of 7%

All tires (new or used) coming into Canada have a duty of 6%

Plus

Your respective Provincial sales tax

Your Goods and Services tax

Thus when purchasing wheel/tires of i.e., $1000 value, your minimal duties will be 13%, plus all your taxes. So for anyone living in i.e., Ontario, this adds another 13% (PST 8%, GST 5%) for a combined total of 26% duties/taxes. As a result, the $1000 wheels are now costing you US $1260..plus shipping

Any idea whether similar /duties/tariffs/taxes are charged when buying used tires/wheels in Canada and bringing them across to the States?

Only asking because I am contemplating driving up to Canada to buy a board member's tires/wheels and bring them home. Oh, and have a Labatt Blue or two while I'm there :D

TIA,

Tim

I am from Canada and have a mailbox in Maine...I bring a lot of stuff through the border (including my car) and how it works is if the item is made in Canada, US or Mexico then you only pay the Provincial Tax and Goods and Services tax. I have never had to pay the 7% and the 6% is only if the item is made outside NA. What is the 7% you speak of?

I don 't know but to be sure, call US customs and ask.

Any idea whether similar /duties/tariffs/taxes are charged when buying used tires/wheels in Canada and bringing them across to the States?

Only asking because I am contemplating driving up to Canada to buy a board member's tires/wheels and bring them home. Oh, and have a Labatt Blue or two while I'm there :D

TIA,

Tim

Archived