LegacyGT.com

Homelink: Can this be done?

JonLGT

I live in an apartment complex where we aren't given remote controls (because they arent attached garages) but we have a code button pad next to the garage. I was wondering if there is a way to connect the homelink with the button pad so I dont have to get out of the car and punch in the code, park the car, then punch the code again.

I would check to see if the code pad is a hardwired type pad or if it just sends a signal when the code it put in. If it is hardwired you are SOL but if it sends a signal like a normal remote you can use it to program your homelink and be set.

Also, if you can figure out the manufacturer of the garage door opener you might be able to find a remote that will operate it and then use that to program your homelink. kind of a long shot but worth looking into.

I believe you should still be able to get homelink to work with your garage door opener. I've done this in the past with a previous vehicle, and didn't have to use my remote. If i remember correctly, there is a learn button or something like that on the logic board (http://www.1stdooropeners.com/liftmaster/LOGIC%20BOARD%20copy.jpg) of your garage door opener. You hold that down, and then within 30 seconds go back into your car and press the homelink button you wish to program.

My instructions may be a bit off since i did this many years ago, but this should point you in the right direction.

wow thats annoying. Good luck with that. When I had an apartment garage they gave me a remote.. it still amost defeats the purpose tho because you then have to walk across a parking lot in the pouring rain to get to your building.

protects the car tho from hail rain sunfade and morons.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

wow thats annoying. Good luck with that. When I had an apartment garage they gave me a remote.. it still amost defeats the purpose tho because you then have to walk across a parking lot in the pouring rain to get to your building.

protects the car tho from hail rain sunfade and morons.

It is a pain, but I like to have the extra space for my car, and all its sh*t. :lol:

I expect that you're going to need the cooperation of (at least) the manager. You program HomeLinks by pushing the "program" button on the controller of the opener (for standard garage door openers, this is on the motor housing on the garage ceiling) and then signaling it with your car's HomeLink.

If this opener has such a button, it'll be somewhere in the vicinity of that wire you saw, but they may have it encased in something inaccessible for security reasons. But maybe the manager could get you into it. HPH

Like Zimm said in the second post, if the keypad is a remote itself (rather than being hard-wired to the opener), you might be able to use it to program your homelink. You'd probably have to "temporarily" remove it from the wall so you can hold it 1-3 inches away from your homelink controls. You should see if you can find the installation instructions for the garage door opener model online so you can see how the keypad works and how it mounts to the wall.

Archived