LegacyGT.com

E85 and Meth

05pearl

I have heard several discussions involving whether E85 is better than meth... I could not find a direct discussion on using both together.

I already had water meth injection on my car (DB 20G) when I decided to try an E85 tune. As long as I was tuning, I thought it wouldd be a good opportunity to compare 91oct, 91oct + meth, E85 and E85 + meth.

Guess what... E85 is great. E85 + meth even better!! All tunes were on the same 75 deg day in Colorado. My 91 oct + meth tune was about 10 HP lower and 20 WTQ lower compared to my tune last winter when it was about 35 deg out.

The car moves! (and it was nice to fill up at $2.69/gal)

Interesting results from your dyno runs. Do you have any that show the AFR and or boost used in your tune for each run?

Best regards,

Dan

Dan, I don't have that data, sorry. I can say though, that I don't understand why some people argue about the benefits of E-85 vs. water/meth injection, when it is clear to me that they work well together.

Dan, I don't have that data, sorry. I can say though, that I don't understand why some people argue about the benefits of E-85 vs. water/meth injection, when it is clear to me that they work well together.

Logically so, clearly.

And this brings up something I don't quite understand; while running meth with a pump tune allows a margin of operation relative to octane, and allows travelling across state lines where wide varieties of gasoline is available safe, what does one do with a car tuned for E85? Doesn't this chain you to the area in which the E85 is available? It has never been anywhere I've been.

No doubt it chains one to a local area - unless you are fortunate enough to map out a chain of stations that just happen to carry e85 along your route and end up in another area that carries e85.

For me, we will just take the Honda Pilot or I will flash to 91+meth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived