LegacyGT.com

Symptoms of a torn LCA bushing?

fatbastard

First let me state that I know my LCA bushings are torn, no real surprise there. Second I did search and found that many people seemed to notice that the steering response was not as sharp as before which I think I am noticing but it also seems as if my car is more underdamped than before. Is this possible from a torn bushing? The reason I ask is if I am going to get the bushings replaced with the SuperPro or AVO bushings then do an alignment only to find out my dampers are shot and I have to replace tehm and do an alingment I would rather do them together. Since this is a common issue I figured someone might have some experience.

If you have 50-60k miles, your stock struts are probably within the range of death. If you have the extra $600-900 for new Konis and install (if you're not doing it), I'd say do it. but I bet you won't save much more than the $100 for the alignment by doing it at the same time. Knowing NE roads, you may need a new alignment in a year anyway if you wait a year for struts.

Trust me I would love to replace the stock suspension and I do have more than 60k on her now so they are likely to be suffering a bit. But at this point my job is driving me crazy and I am trying to keep the financials to a point I can afford to just leave. And realistically if I do this I am looking at $1500 to do everything and that buys a lot of food. Maybe if I find a slightly used set for sale on the forum I'll bite.

But back to the original question, can a torn bushing make the car feel floaty?

fats i am doing the same let me know what you choose as far as lca's, mine are pretty mangled and my struts are just not even dampening any more.

I am planning to do the superpro and bc racing coil overs...

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

strut replacement does not need a re-alignment as long as the ride height is unchanged. if the car is lowered, then an alignemtn will be necessary.

As long as you remember to mark the camber bolts.

I'd still get alignment after touching struts.

I believe the bushings will make your car feel floaty. Mine are currently torn, and am putting the SuperPros in tom. morning. The reason I believe that the car will be floaty is because mine is at the moment, even with coilovers; the torn bushing allows some movement of the LCA, which would cause the floatiness.

brownboy...definitely let me know if the bushing fix the floatyness. Now that I have noticed it is is driving me crazy...every time I go over an oscillation in pavement height the car bounces like an old caddy.

Well, my floatiness is gone. It may be just the LCA bushings, but I also did the Whiteline Roll Center Adj. kit. With the two of these, my steering is nice and taut, and the car is planted on the ground. This is with a lack of proper alignment, as my car wouldnt go up the dealership's alignment rack...:lol:

well that is good news for my wallet...I guess I can try to save a little for now. But I do have a questions for those with AVO or SuperPro bushings...how often and how do you lube them? My Cobbbars need lube more than expected but at least they have grease fittings so it isn't that bad...just wondering if you need to take them apart and get an aligment each time.

Archived