LegacyGT.com

Shock Sensor - ECU Programming

CzarDestructo

My car got broken into a few weeks ago so I bought an airhorn and a shock sensor. What I didn't realize though was that a variable in the ECU needed to be flagged for the sensor to work!

Does anyone know how complicated this is to do? Do you need Subaru specific software to make the change properly? Does anyone in the North Boston area have the ability to enable it?

Reason I ask is because I called my two local dealerships and they were complete a**holes. One guy I talked to literally said he had never heard anyone ever ask about it and he wasn't sure what it would take to do it, so he was going to have to charge me for a half hour of labor minimum ($96) plus whatever other fee for the ACTUAL job once he figured that out. I obviously laughed in his face and hung up. The other dealer seemed ok, they're going to charge me $50 which I still think is ridiculous and I have to travel WAY out of my way to get it done.

At this point I really don't trust any of these crooks, are there any normal, respectable folks around my area that can do this? And why the hell doesn't Subaru make this silly little accessory standard, in bulk this sensor can't cost much more than $20, why all this hassle. This is ridiculous.

It has to be activated using a Subaru Select Monitor system that the dealer has. If they don't sound like they know what they're doing then show them a copy of the installation instructions (found here if you need them: http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/downloadFree.jsp?doc_id=219663). The instructions for activating the sensor are at the end. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other way around it.

Archived