LegacyGT.com

Speed or Handling? The Poll

Speed or Handling?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Speed or Handling?

• Speed: Point in a direction and watch me fly.
    • Handling: Bliss is found in the S curve.

i must say, now that i put coilovers on my car, its such a large difference, and ive never worked suspension with any of my cars before this. Even though i only have a 2.5i this handling is out of this world! i wish i had more power to pull me out of the turns, but i say handling hands down

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i must say, now that i put coilovers on my car, its such a large difference, and ive never worked suspension with any of my cars before this. Even though i only have a 2.5i this handling is out of this world! i wish i had more power to pull me out of the turns, but i say handling hands down

hahaha

very very funny you mention that. had a tight right hander for an on ramp and couldn't get max velocity due to my protege 5 being soo fricken slow.

the gt? hahaha

easily.

hit 60 and pushed it more coming out at the end. mazda NEVER got that fast in such a short time.

wise words. mods won't make a difference if you can't properly drive/control your vehicle.

that being said, I did tires, then RSB, then hawk pads all around, and THEN flashed stage 1 map.

tires at 650 miles on the odo.

i have hps at all 4 corners and than went stage 1 (iirc anyways). have yet to touch the suspension. i kinda left the jackassery behind with my mazda.

i have noticed that with some weight in the back it def corners flatter.

conversely i use body roll s a teller on how much i am pushing it. as well as steerign wheel feel witht he tires etc, goign wide or not, tire squeeling?

blah blah blah...what did the rsb do for you?

when i put mine on ... sorta like a go cart. oversteer :)

IF i did the ol rsb i think i'd have to go with the jdm one or a matched set.

would prefer neutral to very very slight understeer.

i don't mind dealing with over steer on a go-cart on the track but it's not something i wanna do on the street.

A bigger (not HUGE) rsb is more of a comfort mod than anything else. The rsb reduces body roll and helps to take away from the floaty feeling when cornering. Basically the car feels more planted while cornering, without giving it a more harsh ride. I'm running the 19mm Rallitek/IPD bar with kartboy endlinks, which makes for very neutral handling with the stock FSB. A bigger RSB is one of the, if not THE best bang for your buck upgrades on a subaru IMHO.

i've always prioritized handling over speed, 1000 hp is more a handicap then benefit on roads like this

http://www.winkk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/stelvio-pass-road-redefining-switchbacks-2.jpg

:lol: I wish I could complain that I found my suspension lacking while attacking the Stelvio Pass...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

A bigger (not HUGE) rsb is more of a comfort mod than anything else. The rsb reduces body roll and helps to take away from the floaty feeling when cornering. Basically the car feels more planted while cornering, without giving it a more harsh ride. I'm running the 19mm Rallitek/IPD bar with kartboy endlinks, which makes for very neutral handling with the stock FSB. A bigger RSB is one of the, if not THE best bang for your buck upgrades on a subaru IMHO.

cool. thanks.

I've read conflicting things about sways.

people say the bigger the sway, the less independent your rear suspension is. of course you're going to corner flatter but you also lose overall grip.

and then some racers throw it on their cars. why would they sacrifice grip for flatter cornering in a race car?

dunno.. perhaps depends on the suspension design? in the first case scenario its double wishbones all around.

car for sale. PM me!

You need to be able to handle speed. Order of modification: Suspension/Brakes/Tires FIRST!!!

wrong. 3k in sound equipment, then baby seats, then BOV, then tint, then carputer, then hardwire in a bluetooth headset, then track camera, then shiftknob, roof rack cubby thing, trailer for spare tires.

10k in mods and you've just barely gotten started :lol:

car for sale. PM me!

You need to be able to handle speed. Order of modification: Suspension/Brakes/Tires FIRST!!!

I don't plan to drive any faster after I get more power.

I'm just going to get to the same speeds in less time. :)

Bad poll. Most of the folks on this forum, seeing as how they chose LGTs, are going to honestly say "both." They didn't buy a Mazda Miata or Lotus (underpowered, but handles like a dream). They didn't buy cheap power, like a Mustang or GTO. The reason I bought a LGT is because it is the right balance of handling a power for me. My modifications have centered around maintaining that balance.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

For me, personally: power first, handling second.

And I don't really car much for the "handling first, in the name of safety" mindset. Your probability of disaster is not related to how well your car handles, it is related to how well you understand where its limits are, and how close you like to be to those limits. Raising the limits just means it will take longer for you to reach them, at which point you are no safer than you were with the stock limits.

Upgrading handling can make someone safer, but only if they have a permanent and subconscious aversion to driving near the improved limits, and no such aversion to driving near the stock limits. I doubt that actually describes very many people. Most people will steadily push the envelope as their confidence increases, and eventually they'll find the limit, wherever it is. Raising the limit with handling mods just means you'll be going faster when you find that limit. I'm not at all convinced that this is safer, in the long run, than simply understanding where the limits are and staying away from them.

There was a scene in the Black Hawk Down movie that mirrors my feelings on this exactly. One of the regular soldiers noticed that a Delta Force guy had his weapon's safety off, and he pointed it out. The Delta Force guy pointed at his own head and said, "this is my safety."

When it comes to cars I feel the same way - your safety has everything to do with your mindset, and very little to do with the car itself.

(I'm assuming for the sake of discussion that your car is fundamentally reliable. If it's not, then that does become the limiting factor in your safety.)

I'll respectfully disagree with you on that. The greatest threat to my safety on the road is not me, it is other drivers. While experience helps to predict likely behavior (and misbehavior) of other drivers, if you drive enough on public roads, you will get caught by surprise. Power rarely if even helps in that situation - handling does. Evasive maneuvers are difficult when the car doesn't respond quickly to your inputs.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Bad poll. Most of the folks on this forum, seeing as how they chose LGTs, are going to honestly say "both." They didn't buy a Mazda Miata or Lotus (underpowered, but handles like a dream). They didn't buy cheap power, like a Mustang or GTO. The reason I bought a LGT is because it is the right balance of handling a power for me. My modifications have centered around maintaining that balance.

:whore:

I'll respectfully disagree with you on that. The greatest threat to my safety on the road is not me, it is other drivers. While experience helps to predict likely behavior (and misbehavior) of other drivers, if you drive enough on public roads, you will get caught by surprise. Power rarely if even helps in that situation - handling does. Evasive maneuvers are difficult when the car doesn't respond quickly to your inputs.

+1 QFT!! Go Duke!

Oh, I'm sorry… I'll check with you next time before posting and verify the scientific and statistical relevancies.

:whore:

U can never tell what idoit stunts other drivers on the road are goin to pull. U always have to be ready. thats why the only person i trust on the road is myself

________

VAORIZERS

Handling for sure. Excessive speed (like Corvette Z06 speed) is hard to use on public roads. Excessive handling can be used anywhere. Said another way, if you are exiting a freeway (60 mph speed limit), and don't need to slow down for the clover leaf, you'll get a lot fewer tickets for that than you would if you were doing 110 mph in a 60 mph zone.

2 scenarios:

straight onramp- fun is going to be in the power

super twisty onramp - fun is going to be in the handling.

either way if theres a car in front of you, neither is going to be very fun.

the way i figure it, the legacy is nice because with mods it can do both very decently. you can make it a handler or you can make it a monster on the straights.

there is no right or wrong direction to mod the legacy IMO. however the miata is my other car so i focused more on power for the legacy.

would rather have a car with a 4/5 on handling and a car with 4/5 on power than 2 cars with 2.5/5 on both, if that makes sense.

car for sale. PM me!

Archived