LegacyGT.com

public service announcement for those in the market for a legacy--

rallispec

sure nobody wants to admit it -- but thier are a few things we all dont like about the legacy GT -

i figure it's only fair to present these to people considering purchasing a legacy so that they have a fair and balanced view of our beloved subaru.

here are some things about the car that i don't like (however none of them were deal breakers.. obviously)

-back seats don't fold down in sedan

-factory radio isn't that great. Near impossible to replace with built in the climate control.

-stock tires are pretty crappy

-gas mileage leaves much to be desired

-lack of foot room around pedals for driver

-clutch stink (in some 5spds, i have yet to come across this personally)

-lack of some options like satellite radio, nav or HID (hopefully options to be added next year)

-no Coin tray

-center armrest is way to short and far back to work as an arm rest.

-gas tank is on passenger side of car (only annoying if every car you've owned before has had it on the drivers side ;) )

-back seat is a little bit small compared to other cars in the class

-anything larger than a soda can in the cup holder can get in the way of shifting on the manual tranny.

thats about all i can think of right now -- nothing too serious, just some minor quirks. When it's all said and done, I love my new legacy more and more each day.

None of these really irk me much. In fact, coming from my previous car, I have no complaints. The stereo with the subwoofer sounds great, I blame my shoddy driving for the clutch stink, I haven't had any problems with the room around the pedals, I don't need sat radio or nav, and I find the projector lights miles better than my previous car's lights. Yeah, the armrest is too far back, and no fold down seats, but my snowboard fits through the ski pass so I'm okay. And right now I'm getting around 21 mpg mostly city/suburb driving, which is about what I was getting with my previous car, which had half the horsepower and torque. So, everything has been pretty much an upgrade for me.

-factory radio isn't that great. Near impossible to replace with built in the climate control.

-lack of some options like satellite radio, nav or HID (hopefully options to be added next year)

-no Coin tray

-gas tank is on passenger side of car (only annoying if every car you've owned before has had it on the drivers side ;) )

If you do a search you'll find several threads stating exactly what you've posted. To some people the items you mentioned bother them, some could care less. I would suggest either get used to the quirks and accept them, or a better solution in my mind, mod the car so it suits your needs :D
.o0O0o.

I do believe most of this is a personal preference and not things we all deeply desire.

Not one thing on there has been a frustration for me.

1.) if I wanted more room, i could have gotten the wagon.

2.) The factory radio really isn't that bad. What more do you really want? RMS power is rated descent. Most aftermarket systems aren't going to change that too much. Most of the frustration here comes from not being able to easily add any aftermarket product. The radio itself is sufficient.

3.) The tires for the most part I don't believe are that bad. They will certainly let you know when you are at the limits in the dry with some noise. In the snow, i haven't had any problems with them either. Are they the greatest, not by a long shot, but they are fine for 80% of the driving you will do on a daily basis. Most stock tires are nothing really to brag about.

4.) If you want great mileage, this wasn't the car to get. Should have gotten the Echo.

5.) With size 12 steel toe boots, i still have never had a problem with the pedals.

6.) This i can understand. It does not however apply to all cars. I personally have no clutch stink unless i do something to try and make it appear. I do have a "catalytic" smell when on hard in 3rd and 4th...will certainly be following up on that.

7.) Sat, Nav, HID - Not important for me. All of these can be achieved with aftermarket products anyway.

8.) Coin tray is being picky. How about the ashtray?

9.) The armrest is a little short, but i have gotten used to it and have no problems using it as such. It is a little far back, but i don't notice it anymore.

10.) Not every car has it on the same side, nothing you can do.

11.) Compared to what? If its smaller, we are talking only by a few inches at most. 2-3 maybe

For example:

Add a roof rack to transport larger items

Use a LOC and add better speakers/subwoofer

Buy better tires (maybe some rims while you are at it)

Careful tuning can lean out the fuel mixuture enough to make a difference here. Also, I know its hard, but lighten up a bit with your right foot once and a while

Not sure about this one

Learn how to drive! heh, no really, clutch engagement is a little tricky in this car and bad habits will punish you quickly with a bad smell. There is talk of a Clutch Delay Valve removal and you could also try a different clutch all together

Wait to see what comes out next year or do a search for the many DIY projects on this site

-no Coin tray

You've got a center cubby, ashtray, drink holders and armrest cubby, I think you'd be able to some up with some way to store your change

OEM armrest extension

Probably just gunna have to get used to that one

Make friends with shorter people :p

.o0O0o.

I won't address all your gripes, and many of them are valid (and not a deal breaker for me either). Searches will turn up a solution for most of those problems.

Anyways, to bring this a little more attention, JL audio has introduced a product called CleanSweep that will probably solve the audio upgrade problem. It will integrate with the factory stereo and provide CLEAN outputs for amplifiers as well as allow for an aux input for your ipod or whatever. http://jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

Msmith of this board works for JL Audio and is a Legacy owner, so we can rest assured that it will get the attention it deserves. :) Thanks again msmith!

Anyways, to bring this a little more attention, JL audio has introduced a product called CleanSweep that will probably solve the audio upgrade problem. It will integrate with the factory stereo and provide CLEAN outputs for amplifiers as well as allow for an aux input for your ipod or whatever. http://jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

That looks interesting. I suspect it might be more than i would want to pay though, but who knows....

For me:

I wish the stock suspension was stiffer.

I wish there was a 6 speed.

I wish I got the armrest extension.

6spd would be awesome -- same with the suspension.

another thing to add-- the CUP HOLDERS are WORTHLESS if you want to be able to shift gears. I just found this out on my way home from lunch.-- my cup kept getting in my way. (granted it was a large cup :) )

and dont' get me wrong, i'm not griping -- just some little quircks that are nice to know when you're looking at cars so they dont catch you by surprise down the road.

:)

take a little more time to research the car then, would be my statement. I can understand some things not being found untill a while of ownership, but most of this stuff is straight forward and noticable just by looking at the car and its features.

sure nobody wants to admit it
wrong

If you do a search you'll find several threads stating exactly what you've posted.
+1

and yeah, milage can go from 15 to (24-26) depending how you drive.

<3 my LGT

Guest *Jedimaster*

and yeah, milage can go from 15 to (24-26) depending how you drive.

<3 my LGT

:werd:

Very annoying- the gap is so wide. Mine said 7.5 last week, but that's because we had a few days at -18 and I let the car heat up while I took a shower.

Jedi - here in CO thats a big no no - at least in Boulder - if a cop sees an idling car with no one in it - you get a nice fat ticket :(

Jeff

What if you're using a remote starter?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Jedi - here in CO thats a big no no - at least in Boulder - if a cop sees an idling car with no one in it - you get a nice fat ticket :(

Jeff

Really? Why? I'd just do what I do now and park by the side of the house. If he came into my yard, I'd sue him for trespassing! And if he got off, I'd go sit in front of his house and watch him :lol:

Why isn't there a tail gate open switch on the inside of the wagon tail gate itself while the sedan has an idiot trunk open handle inside the trunk ... where people aren't suppose to go?

Umm.. 'cause you can always fold down a seat and use the regular inside doors?!?

HV

Archived