LegacyGT.com

Got my new baby yesterday

Picked it up at the dealership *...but was mad to find out that it had 190 miles on it.

Damn dealer swaps.

*(pricing mentioned in another thread)

The car was in minneapolis then driven to Rochester and then back to minneapolis for the 190 mile total.

You think i can make some noise and get some free accessory??

Anyways then i drove it to Milwaukee and now it sits with 550 miles on it (look i'm nearing break-in miles)

So driving down from Mpls to Milwaukee was a lot of fun even tho' i could not take it above 4k rpms and had to vary the rpm(that didnt keep me from toying with and A6 2.7T :p )

...so i was shuttling constantly between 60 and 75mph. Hope breaking-in doesnt mean "around town only" and "not on freeway" miles.

So now about the ride:

I think it needs an alignment...it pulls slightly to the right:( . I am hoping to go to a local subaru dealer and have them give me one for free as opposed to waiting till i drive back up to Minneapolis to the dealer i purchased from.

-The ride was firm and comfy but there were some bumps that i could feel. I am hoping we are blaming those on the RE92's???:p

-Stereo with sub/amp was great sounding...no complaints.:)

-Am having some issue with windshiled fog and constantly having to switch on the defogger (A/C) :(

- Not liking the seatbelt chime...now where is that thread to remove it again??:confused:

-Love the heated-seats, the momo steering, the auto dim mirror,the dash and center display lights and colors and sound. Love the 5EAT and gobs and gobs of power available.

-overall this car rox0rz!!!!! cant wait till break-in is complete

Now for NEWB QUESTIONS

1. Whats a good turbo timer? purchase links? Price i can expect to pay for part and for installation?:confused:

2. Dealer told me i need to let it idle for a minute and half till i get timer...is that true? Or only till break-in is complete and thereafter for 20 seconds or something like it?

3. Whats the best dang radar and laser detector/s ?

Oh i am attaching a pic taken with my phone. Dont have a digi cam on me here at work and i didnt want anyone to put up that "this thread is worthless........" gif.

LOL

Lots more newb questions to come...yea i'm to lazy to search for answers when i can have one of you kind folks to reply real quick.

:lol:

ATT149789.jpg.f9bd8f787e5a128a37686ed4f815e5b3.jpg

lucky you, twisted. 190 miles on a "new" car is definitely worth haggling for some accessories over, IMHO. generally "break-in" should include highway and non highway miles, if you subscribe to the manufacturer's theory. however, in my perusal of other car boards on the net, i've seen a lot of very knowledgable car people point to this article...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

read it, and take it for what it's worth.

question for you... what dealer did you buy from in minneapolis? i'll be moving there in late spring, and soon after hope to purchase an LGT. how was your experience with the dealer you bought from?

as far as radar detectors, Valentine V1 is widely considered the best, but most people stand by their Passport as well.

lucky you, twisted. 190 miles on a "new" car is definitely worth haggling for some accessories over..
I'm wondering how to go about it since the dealer was nice to me...do i duke it out with them and spoil/tarnish the relationship or go through SoA?

question for you... what dealer did you buy from in minneapolis? i'll be moving there in late spring, and soon after hope to purchase an LGT. how was your experience with the dealer you bought from?

as far as radar detectors, Valentine V1 is widely considered the best, but most people stand by their Passport as well..

I got mine from White Bear Acura Subaru on Hwy 61.

First i went to Brooklyn Park and they were just not dealing and were stagnant at $28588 for Silver LGT sedan with 5EAT autodim mats and sub/amp.

They suck.

Then i went to White Bear. Like a month ago we had gone there to see the car and test drive it but didnt go to them first on saturday since they didnt have a silver in inventory with 5EAT. Coming back from brooklyn park we decided to go back to white bear... got in and started talking and made it clear that we definitely want 5EAT and would prefer silver and told them how Brooklyn Park lost our business earlier that morning because they wouldnt drop the price.

They figured out that we knew what the pricing was and what the market is paying. So he located one in Rochester MN and gave me a price of $27900, which i thought wasnt all that bad (although i would have preferred $27500)

Well applied for financing and got 3.9% andhe said he would have the car ready monday with 90 miles (he didnt know it already had a 100 miles on it). Apparently the car was with Brooklyn park subaru then went as a swap to Clements in rochester and then back up to white bear for us and thus the 190 miles.

Well at least white bear dealt with us and wasnt adamant about the price. They were a bit ruff around the edges but yet friendly and were joking around making it a decent experience. I would definitely recommend them except that concern over the miles on the car. One other thing was that they did make us wait around...not because they were rude but because they were under-staffed. their sales and finance folks were courteous and sad to say no hot looking chics around there to keep u busy looking at the candy while thay make u wait.

Plan on spending some time there (we negotiated pricing on saturday which was quick) but signing papers on monday took 2 hours.

If you do go there talk to the manager Jeff...real kewl fella and speak with Tom thalle (backup finance person...real nice)...and tell em the Sharma sent you. These guys actually want to move cars. They realize it s a 2-3 % business and dont make it an ordeal negotiating like the panzees at Brooklyn park (YUCK)

They have a silver 5-spd GT LTD which i am eye-ing to trade my 03 honda pilot in for in the near future. And i am hoping that since i got 27900 for the LGT LTD 5EAT, i should get the 5-spd for 2K less (minus 1000 for the 5-spd and -1000 for loyalty bonus)=25900

Also i will check between the valentine and the passport. 1st i need to figure out what is needed more: the detector or the turbo timer.

Thx for ur help.

their sales and finance folks were courteous and sad to say no hot looking chics around there to keep u busy looking at the candy while thay make u wait.
LOL nice dude. Thanks very much for the info about dealers, I will keep that in mind once I get out there and start shopping. You should post your experiences here:

http://www.dealerrater.com

Congrats Twist! I really like that silver. Very smart looking.

How do you like the Automatic so far with the sport shift?

Well we really got this 5EAT for my brother (who has held capture my 03 Pilot)

his lazy bum needs an auto of some sort.

I personally prefer the 5-spd..thus my constant repitiion of the statement-i'm gonna trade my pilot soon for a 5MT...sooner than later

So as a return favor i hi-jacked (can i say this word on this board) his 05 LGT LTD.

Well since i researched the car and negotiated the deal, this is the least thanks i can get to drive it for the first few thousand miles.

So far the 5EAT is nice.

When using the sportshift mode, i do notice a slight time lag between the nudging on the lever and the revs getting effected (actual shifting)..but this is the same with all other sportshift cars. So nothing unexpected here.

The buttons on the steering work well but on hwy speed if going on 5th gear and downshifting to 4th it only holds 4th for a while and then auto-upshift.

Also i like the fact that the dash displays the gear i am in when using sportshift with the up/down arrow. i am a sucker for lightshows on consoles!!!! :D

I am still to read the manual on the workings of the 5EAT modes etc but so far into it..its fantastic.

PS i like your atlantic blue color as well. After silver and white tied in at no. 1 the black and atlantic blue are tied in as no. 2 on my choice of colors for the LGT

What color interior you get??? and options???

I believe the turbo timer has been discussed quite at length already. (Modern)Subarus don't need them because of the way that the cooling system is setup.

Use the money to buy a Passport 8500 X50

wow really?? i will search the threads on it

and is the passport better than the valentine 1 ??

whats the difference between the two?

Thx

Regarding turbo timers... these were most relevant with old turbos (ie vintage Saabs) where engine oil was the primary means to cool the turbocharger. Modern turbos use engine oil and coolant, so they stay cooler while the car is running (as opposed to, literally, red/yellow-hot!). I have 191,500 miles on my Mazda 626 turbo (have owned since '98) ... I let it run for, say, 15-30 seconds max before shutting it off after a drive, and I am sure that the turbocharger will outlast the rest of the car!

RE: manual mode

There are 2 manual modes for the 5EAT:

1. 'true' manual mode - this is only achieved by first putting the gear selector in the left gate (SPORT) and then either upshifting or downshifting. Once you are in this mode, subsequent gear changes can be done from the stick or steering wheel buttons.

2. 'temporary' manual - when is auto mode, you can up/downshift without putting the selector in the manual gate by using the steering wheel buttons. As noted, the tranny returns to auto mode a few seconds later. Good to use on the highway for that quick burst (as opposed to a kick-down via the gas pedal).

wow really?? i will search the threads on it

and is the passport better than the valentine 1 ??

whats the difference between the two?

Thx

Basically both are great at traditional radar guns. The V1 has the directional arrows which are pretty cool. However, it's very poor with POP radar (as are most detectors) and there have been detector tests which have shown this. The 8500 X50 has a POP mode and has been tested to detect pretty well.

Believe me, I've been POPed in Indiana 2x now. My 3 year old Cobra never made a peep (I know this, because the second time, the cop showed me the radar gun and I happened to notice that it was a BEE III with POP mode).

Now, of course, everyone knows that POP mode is horribly inaccurate and should be outlawed. However, it's a revenue generator. It's amazing around here, the end of the month shows up and cops are crawling all over the place nabbing people. So many of these small town finance their police departments largely on ticket revenue. Complete and utter BS to me..

not that I am doubting your real world exerience but his is what valentine has to say about the POP mode on their V1.

I am yet to read up on the pasport and compare with the V1

http://www.valentine1.com/pop/

Can you forward me any links to any comparision tests that may have been done for the 2?

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

got about an inch or so of the flaky stuff and since i am past the break in i had to go out there and do it justice.

My first power slides were so much fun. just step on it...then turn...then step on it some more and guide and turn and floor and so on and so forth. Such precise control. Only needed 5 feet of room on each side of the car to keep it safe from any erronous driving on my part.

o 'heaven' must translate to 'subaru' in japanese :p

Archived