LegacyGT.com

Shifting is still rubbery and vague at best.. solutions, please?

simontempler

I have installed the Cobb Adjustable SSK with the shifter bushings AND the Group N tranny mount. The shifting is is shorter but the shift from gear to gear is still rubbery and vague. Does anyone have a solution/s to eliminate this play and make it feel, 'snick snick' with a solid AND FAST engagement?

Any help is most appreciated! thanks!

Replacing the rear stay bushing should help a great deal with shift feel and firmness, much more snick, snick in addition to with the front stay bushing you already did.

I don't have a cobb shifter but a Kartboy along with all the bushings. Turninconcepts has the rear bushings. This is the kit I originally installed:

http://www.turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_14_364_376&products_id=92

I also recommend using prothane synthetic grease used to lube poly sway bushings from Jegs, real sticky stuff and totally waterproof for lubing the rear stay where the arm goes shifter basket inside the car and the pivot sleeve bushing. Makes for much smoother and quieter shifts.

So, the rear stay bushings AND the prothane grease will enhance my shifting pleasure, greatly?

Does it matter which brand of rear bushings I use/buy?

Replacing the rear stay bushing should help a great deal with shift feel and firmness, much more snick, snick in addition to with the front stay bushing you already did.

I don't have a cobb shifter but a Kartboy along with all the bushings. Turninconcepts has the rear bushings. This is the kit I originally installed:

http://www.turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_14_364_376&products_id=92

I also recommend using prothane synthetic grease used to lube poly sway bushings from Jegs, real sticky stuff and totally waterproof for lubing the rear stay where the arm goes shifter basket inside the car and the pivot sleeve bushing. Makes for much smoother and quieter shifts.

So, the rear stay bushings AND the prothane grease will enhance my shifting pleasure, greatly?

Does it matter which brand of rear bushings I use/buy?

It did for me. Turninconcepts is a vendor on the board with great service so I bought from them but no it does not matter what brand you get IMO.

I don't know if you have driven a manual S2K, Miata or Mustang, but if you did, how does it compare to the mods you did on your shifter?

I love how those cars shift.. snick, snick and easy.. and fast.. Just askin' and wondring.. I'm just a little disappointed wiht mine that's all.. trying to make mine a better daily driver in solid frikkin traffic.... :redface:

It did for me. Turninconcepts is a vendor on the board with great service so I bought from them but no it does not matter what brand you get IMO.

well comparing it to a mustang that my buddy had and others that i have owned. It is not as snap( ish ). Its a crisp shift dont get my wrong, but not as snappy as you are wanting it to be when comparing it to a mustang short throw etc...

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I don't know if you have driven a manual S2K, Miata or Mustang, but if you did, how does it compare to the mods you did on your shifter?

I love how those cars shift.. snick, snick and easy.. and fast.. Just askin' and wondring.. I'm just a little disappointed wiht mine that's all.. trying to make mine a better daily driver in solid frikkin traffic.... :redface:

Won't be as smooth as a miata, can't comment on the other two. In general our shifter will always have a slight notchyness to it because of the design. but with the add ons suggested earlier will make it alot more fun to drive in traffic or otherwise.

You bought a Subaru, not a Porsche. Soon there will be another problem to obsess about, perhaps one that affects the performance of your car. That will help you to forget all about your shifting problems.
ignore him, he'll go away.

You bought a Subaru, not a Porsche. Soon there will be another problem to obsess about, perhaps one that affects the performance of your car. That will help you to forget all about your shifting problems.

Agreed. But the shifting is really not a problem.. I am hoping to just make it better.. if can. ;)

After this I will be obsessed about my POS dash rattles.. I can't stand it! It's on the drivers side right infront or the side. If I grab the 'hood' that shelters the main gauges, I can move it for and aft! Can you believe that?? :eek:

you are kidding... just changin' the trans oil makes a whole lot of difference?

I'm serious here, no sarcasm... please advise further. Thanks!

Not a whole lot of difference, but it's noticable...

If you're due for a major service interval it's worth the change (i.e. 30k, 60k, or 90k miles)...

you are kidding... just changin' the trans oil makes a whole lot of difference?

I'm serious here, no sarcasm... please advise further. Thanks!

No, I'm not kidding. I drove the same car with stock oil, then RedLine. Makes a noticeable difference in gear changes... easier, smoother shifting. Maybe not everything you'd hope for or want, but for the price of some oil what's the risk? It really helps and I couldn't believe just oil could do that... I'm putting it in when my service comes due.

No, I'm not kidding. I drove the same car with stock oil, then RedLine. Makes a noticeable difference in gear changes... easier, smoother shifting. Maybe not everything you'd hope for or want, but for the price of some oil what's the risk? It really helps and I couldn't believe just oil could do that... I'm putting it in when my service comes due.

Thanks, bro... will throw in the MT90 since the engine mods and turbo are still being worked on.. The ACT full face clutch is just installed. Can't wait to drive it!

Thanks, bro... will throw in the MT90 since the engine mods and turbo are still being worked on.. The ACT full face clutch is just installed. Can't wait to drive it!

Whoa. I'm pretty certain that MT90 is GL4 and our cars need GL5. If you're going to go with Redline, put in 75W-90NS.

Whoa. I'm pretty certain that MT90 is GL4 and our cars need GL5. If you're going to go with Redline, put in 75W-90NS.

Thank you very much for the heads up, Mr. Sinister. I just called my mechanic for confirmation. :icon_chee

An I will be making a purchase from T.I.C. for the rear bushings!

Archived