LegacyGT.com

HELP! Clicking Sound from Driver's Front While Turning w/MR Coilovers

mschmidt

All,

I installed a set of used MR coilovers a few months ago (~5K miles) and had some clicking come from the drivers front coilover while backing out of my driveway or turning in a parking lot. Turning the steering wheel slow I would feel it get a little tight... then the "click"... it would do this roughly a half dozen times turning in either direction. It does this if I turn fast or slow.

I later found out that I did not torque the top nuts down correctly and ended up chewing up the threads on this coilover only.

I ordered a new core and recently rebuilt the coilover. I tightened down the top nut as much as I physically could holding the allen wrench in my vise. Reinstalled it today and I have the same exact clicking sound.

It is dropped about 1.5" inches and I eyeball the camber at about -1 degrees. While I was waiting for the new core I put back on the stock struts up front and the clicking was not present. This clearly has something to do with the MR coilover. Any ideas?

- Impact gun on the top nut? I can't imagine it is not tight enough?

- Buy an entire new coilover and try it? Perhaps something else is broke on the coilover?

Let me know? I can take a video of the condition if you feel it will help diagnose the problem...

Thanks,

Mike

I was thinking about this some more... even though removing the MR coilover got rid of the sound, it may not actually be the culprit? Am I stretching here?

What does the coilover do to other components that may cause one of them to make this sound? The only significant difference is the lowering...

Could the resultant lowering of the front end affect any other components? Sway bar making this sound perhaps? Let me know guys?

pooper valve?

How could I break some suspension?

Thanks for the idea. I will take a look and see if I can tell if the nut is all he way down to the bottom of the threads.

Hopefully Boostjunkie can chime in.

When you installed the new damper core, did you check for or notice any play in the pillowball? There are only 2 moving parts in the coilovers, the damper and the pillowball. Since you have already replaced the damper, the only other possible source of noise from the coilovers is the pillowball.

BTW, there is no need to death torque on the top nut. 35-40ft/lbs is plenty. I'm pretty sure you've got at least that much on there right now, so that's probably not it.

death torque... nice. I don't remember any play in the pillow ball. I can't see how that would result in this clicking if there was a little slop. The clicking is the same sound that if I would go out there now and turn on the top nut without holding onto the shaft. This is odd and very annoying. My wife is scared to ride in my car... well, more scared now.

Like Boost said it could be your pillowball. I had this exact problem and the noise was annoying -- like a rattle sound over road imperfections.

The way i fixed it and it's still fine to this day is using a 17mm (could be wrong on the size) and an 8mm hex wrench and tightening it that way. I know you did this while it was in your vise but do it again while its installed in the car. Im pretty sure that will solve your problem. I repeat this every so many months just in case, because i track the car. Also, you don't have to 'death torque' it either. Let us know how it turns out.

Does anything look wrong in the pics below? Sitting in neutral with my hand on the top nut and the other turning the steering wheel I can certainly feel the click in the top nut. It sounds like it is jumping on a couple threads perhaps?

I took the top nut off and watched the shaft closely as I turned the wheel. I could see it rise up a thread or two and shift the castor a little bit. Thinking I ran out of thread I put two washers on and death torqued it again with no success.

Let me know guys.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC05927.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC05931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC05936.jpg

Was thinking about your problem. Try and tighten the lower lock ring that holds the lower strut mount in place. If this move just a little when you turn or go over bumps...equals alot of noise. Also grease the top and bottom of the springs.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Are you talking about the big ring that you use the special tools to tighten? This one is tight. I did spray them down with WD40 as well. This is probably not it. thanks though.

Yeah..I thought mine was tight enough as well but they apparently were not. They have to be very tight...at least with my Ksports...

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived