LegacyGT.com

New Tires

wagonmaster87

:lol: unclemat is being such a pessimistic.

U gotta define what good is, the way i see it AS are pretty much a comprise tires. they try to combine summer tires w/winter tires ... so of course you wont be as good as dedicated tires for different seasons, but okay @ both.

think of it as a duck. A duck can walk, swim & fly, but it doesnt do anything particularly well. A penguin can swim all day long ... but cant fly. An ostrich can run but can fly. An ... well ya u get the picture.

Read the reviews and stuff @ Tirerack i guess would be my best bet ... i got a set of RE960AS PP on recently & yes compared to my previous summer only tires they arent as sticky ... but they should hold up on ice/snow pretty well when i go up the Mt. to snowboard.

There are no such tires as good all-seasons.

I disagree, amongst the group there are great all-seasons and poor ones. Decent all-seasons cover 90% of the driving miles beyond well. The other 10% of miles not so hot.

I have to say I am really happy with my RE960's on Subaru WRX. They can get you about in winter conditions, but not as safely as winter tires. However I rarely encounter winter conditions since 1) avoid driving in them as no matter what tire you own it is time sink 2) its only about 14-20 days per year in coastal New England

I disagree, amongst the group there are great all-seasons and poor ones. Decent all-seasons cover 90% of the driving miles beyond well. The other 10% of miles not so hot.

All is relative. Really depends on definition of "good"....

I have Michelins Pilot Exalto A/S on the LGT I bought used. It's decent tire (great on wet), but I am spoiled with sticky rubber....

WagonMaster:

It all depends on how you drive (spirited, sane, or grandpa), where you drive (bumper-to-bumper traffic, wide-open tarmac, gravel roads) and the type of weather you expect to encounter (mostly sun, a bit of snow/rain in the fall/winter) etc.

This will help everyone give you a much better idea of the ideal tire setup for your particular situation. Some AS tires give more precedence to performance, others true foul weather capability, while still others are mediocre in all areas save for wear.

For the truly spirited driver who lives in an area with both true summer/winter conditions, there is no substitute for having a dedicated set of summer performance tires, and a dedicated set of foul weather tires. It just makes good economic sense: a decent wheels (like Rotas) can be had for little money, the second set of tires will provide ideal performance for the time of year you drive on them, and you'll split the mileage between the two sets of tires. Not to mention increased safety, fun, and the ability to sell your second set should you sell your car.

Archived