LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Fuel Economy - All Models

Jon in CT

yea i think the awd matrix and awd corrola do pretty well in the mpg department

yahoo quotes matrix at 20/26 awd automatic.

1 i can kick the hell out of a matrix

2 i have awd

3 i have the 5eat

4 i have stage 1

5 i can get 26 doing 80mph with cobb map running.

so...i have something quicker.faster, good awd, 5 speed auto and not a 4 speed, nicer looking HEAVIER etc etc...

i fail to see how we get raped in the mileage dept.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GS350 with AWD has 303 HP and achieves 18/25. Thats better than a LGT and theres alot more car there.

better than?

uh. no.

my sticker said 17/25 or 18/25

have achieved higher.

an go stage 2 for well above 306 hp and pull the exact same mileage.

Indeed its not, however this car weighs 400 lbs. more and is putting down alot more power than a LGT. Thus the automatic is as quick as a MT LGT. The GS also benefits from direct fuel injection.

constant cruising has really not much effect on weight as does gearing and aerodynamics.

quicker than...aka 300hp at redline unlike the drop before redline? powerband man. power band. stage 2 will give over 300 at redline even with power dropping.

direct injection? so what.

alot more power than a leg gt? the 2001 model or the 2005+ model? explain what "alot more" is. a tuned 5eat stage 2 protune someone just posted recently got 260hp to the wheels. do a reverse 25% awd/tranny loss calc. same mileage.

mods or no mods. the legacy can and will get more power and still achieve the same mileage before modding.

i think you all just find stuff to complain about.

2008 Subaru Legacy GT

AWD

5 speed automatic, 243 HP, 241 Trqs.

0-60 in 6.0 seconds

18 MPG city, 24 Hwy

3490 lbs.

2008 Lexus GS350

AWD

6 speed automatic, 303 HP, 274 Trqs.

0-60 in 5.8 seconds

18 MPG city, 25 Hwy

3965 lbs.

Believe it or not, the Subaru Legacy isn't the greatest car man ever built. I know that may be a shock to some.

2008 Subaru Legacy GT

AWD

5 speed automatic, 243 HP, 241 Trqs.

0-60 in 6.0 seconds

18 MPG city, 24 Hwy

3490 lbs.

2008 Lexus GS350

AWD

6 speed automatic, 303 HP, 274 Trqs.

0-60 in 5.8 seconds

18 MPG city, 25 Hwy

3965 lbs.

Believe it or not, the Subaru Legacy isn't the greatest car man ever built. I know that may be a shock to some.

i don't know about you but i HAVE a gt in my garage. the auto has taller gearing than thr manual. at 80 my rpms are at 2800 with a load. I have hit 26.1. have hit and exceeded epa more than once all at 80mph. i'm sure it's better at 60. some heer get 28mpg. my 07 was rated 18/25 at 3485 lbs. 6 seconds huh? the trap speeds alone tell the power difference. the power diff can easily be modded out.

why are you guys whining and then trying to argue with me about our ACTUAL mileage? it's like you all want bad mileage. wtf???

Went on a "spirtied" 500 mile cruise recently w/ North Central Group. I avged 31mpg on my stg 2 5MT 08' LGT. I was in 'I' mode majority of the time, but I was able to keep up with the other 30 or so cars on the cruise. Im sure if I drove normally and without going through the twisties and huge elevation changes through the valleys I would probably be in the mid 30's mpg easy.

It is true that subaru does as well as most of the other AWD vehicles in terms of MPG. and they don't have a whole lot of competition at the lower price points. BUT, most other manufacturers have other non AWD cars to choose from. As gas prices continue to rise, people are going to pass on AWD in favor of higher MPG. Subaru needs to do something or they won't last.

why are you guys whining and then trying to argue with me about our ACTUAL mileage? it's like you all want bad mileage. wtf???

Because the EPA doesn't care about actual mileage when they're calculating CAFE standards. My LGT is rated for 27 Hwy. I got 30 before my air intake and 33 after. But, that doesn't matter. It goes by the results that the EPA gets using their own methods of testing.

As much as I usually disagree with Richard's posts, this time I have to say "+1" to everything he has posted in the past 24 hours on this thread (see, I still keep the endorsement limited! ;)).

I love my LGT 5mt and the mileage is the same as the GS for a hell of a lot less $$$. Stock for stock is not a fair comparison, when you are talking mileage -> it should be dollar for dollar.

My Stage2+ GT gets almost 25 mpg in mixed driving and close to 30 highway with very spirited use of the gas pedal and I spent a lot less money in total on my vehicle than even an entry level Lexus, let alone a GS.

I chose the LGT when I was in the market because there were no sedans out there that could match it's price/performance ratio, IMO, especially when I added the AWD requirement (I do live in Buffalo!!! :lol:).

Adding a Lexus GS to a comparison is just like all the threads comparing the LGT to a 335xi. Stock for stock or any comparison that doesn't factor in price is not valid. If I wanted to spend the $ for a badge on my car, I wouldn't be looking at a sub-$30k Legacy GT. BMW and Lexus vehicles are bought for prestige and performance (at least with the bimmers), Subarus are for the more practical minded.

My $0.02

Because the EPA doesn't care about actual mileage when they're calculating CAFE standards. My LGT is rated for 27 Hwy. I got 30 before my air intake and 33 after. But, that doesn't matter. It goes by the results that the EPA gets using their own methods of testing.

all subaru has to say is...the leg gt gets 30mpg.

many owners have done so and no one would dispute the claim. then what?

to me, it's just a figure thrown out into thin air.

Adding a Lexus GS to a comparison is just like all the threads comparing the LGT to a 335xi.

But thats not the point. The question was are there AWD offerings out there that get better gas mileage than a Subaru. The GS is one. There are many more. Audi and Suzuki are two others that have already been mentioned. Deal with it.

all subaru has to say is...the leg gt gets 30mpg.

many owners have done so and no one would dispute the claim. then what?

to me, it's just a figure thrown out into thin air.

But their EPA ratings don't back that up. If you drove a Vette at 55 MPH Im sure you could get 30 MPG too. That doesn't negate the 24 MPG rating on the window sticker. So while the EPA methods don't neccessarily reflect all drivers accurately its what the CAFE standards go by.

But thats not the point. The question was are there AWD offerings out there that get better gas mileage than a Subaru. The GS is one. There are many more. Audi and Suzuki are two others that have already been mentioned. Deal with it.

But their EPA ratings don't back that up. If you drove a Vette at 55 MPH Im sure you could get 30 MPG too. That doesn't negate the 24 MPG rating on the window sticker. So while the EPA methods don't neccessarily reflect all drivers accurately its what the CAFE standards go by.

1st part...not true. my 07 was rated 18/25. weird that the 08 is rated at 24 yet has taller gearing. there are weird things afoot. 1 says one thing while it does another.

2...dunno what to say other than...i didn't buy the gt to worry about gas mileage. i would have kept my mazda protege 5. my best ever was 8mpg while doing a few 0-100 runs back to back stock. hahaha...then circiling around for another. keep in mind number 1. we are no worse than anyone.

yea i think the awd matrix and awd corrola do pretty well in the mpg department

but they are gutless wonders. and it's not really full time AWD if I remember. I had an 03 Vibe GT and 04 Vibe base MT. Didn't get the AWD because it was soooooooo lame, I had to turn around and go right back to the dealership on my test drive. When the salesman asked what's wrong, I told him the car sucks and no way I'd buy that POS. So, just because it's AWD with decent fuel economy, it's gutless.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

If you guys actually read the sticker on a new car you'll see that the gas mileage usually shows a RANGE of values for city/highway and that the specific numbers are the average/middle of that Range. So for example a car rated at 25mpg by EPA will have a range of say 22-28mpg. So you guys gotta take these numbers with a grain of salt and also consider the range since it all varies from driver to driver and location/distance of trips.

My Stage2+ GT gets almost 25 mpg in mixed driving and close to 30 highway with very spirited use of the gas pedal

Ok, my car is stock, not stage 2, but I always wonder where people pull these numbers from.

LGT + 30 mpg + spirited = sorry, does not compute :rolleyes:

In fact, anything > 20 mpg + spirited generally does not compute either.

Ok, my car is stock, not stage 2, but I always wonder where people pull these numbers from.

LGT + 30 mpg + spirited = sorry, does not compute :rolleyes:

In fact, anything > 20 mpg + spirited generally does not compute either.

Using SI-Drive Intelligent mode in my 08' Stg 2 5MT LGT got 31MPG on a spirited 500 mile North Central Subaru Cruise meet. The gauge actually read 30.6, but when I calculated by hand using reciepts it was actually 31mpg :)

Maybe its being full catless that helps. Even around town im seeing mileage gain after I went catless and 3" exhaust.

Archived