LegacyGT.com

chunk taken out of tire

tommboy

So I nailed a curb today pretty bad and there is a small sized chunk taken both out of my rim and tire, the tire just seems lim a piece of it was cut because it's still attached. My question is will my tire be ok will I need to get a new one? Will it atleast hold up for a 300 mile drive back home I'm doing today?

Picture?

If the chunk is just the "rim protector," it's designed to do that.

If it's pretty much anything else, you need new tires.

Plural, as in 4 new tires.

And if you hit it hard enough to scour the rim and take a chunk, an alignment check is likely in order (unless this is a rear wheel - then not so much). But if the "chunk" you refer to is large, exposes cording, or looks like it's cracking further, then definitely replace all four tires. If it's just in the rim protector, I wouldn't worry about it.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

And if you hit it hard enough to scour the rim and take a chunk, an alignment check is likely in order (unless this is a rear wheel - then not so much). But if the "chunk" you refer to is large, exposes cording, or looks like it's cracking further, then definitely replace all four tires. If it's just in the rim protector, I wouldn't worry about it.

Adding to this, even if the tire looks ok now, monitor it for a developing tire buldge.

Adding to this, even if the tire looks ok now, monitor it for a developing tire buldge.

Absolutely - and glad you added this.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived