LegacyGT.com

Legacy conundrums

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*
I originally wanted to get an Outback for the ground clearance and extra ride height. I also liked the wider wheel and tire package. And the bumper and wheel flares looked nice too. But then I found out that you couldn't get the electroluminescent gauge package. Also there's a bunch of ugly fake wood trim in the Outback. Why wouldn't Subaru make it so you could mix and match these items across the Legacy line- they're essentially the same vehicle, after all. When I bought my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I ordered it and you could add/ delete anything from sunroofs to leather seats as you pleased.

[quote name='jedimaster']I originally wanted to get an Outback for the ground clearance and extra ride height. I also liked the wider wheel and tire package. And the bumper and wheel flares looked nice too. But then I found out that you couldn't get the electroluminescent gauge package. Also there's a bunch of ugly fake wood trim in the Outback. Why wouldn't Subaru make it so you could mix and match these items across the Legacy line- they're essentially the same vehicle, after all. When I bought my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I ordered it and you could add/ delete anything from sunroofs to leather seats as you pleased.[/quote] I thought that gauge package came in the OXT as well???????????

The OBXT is a compelling ride, to be sure. I still wonder why it's $1,000 more than the GT wagon. Can't just be the power seats... I was thinking long and hard about one, until I heard from someone who said that the driving dynamics of the USDM suspension tune wouldn't satisfy the performance-oriented side of me. This person (who of necessity shall remain nameless) had occasion to spend extended seat time in both the OBXT and LGT sedans and wagons. The OBXT also has the short final drive, which I believe is compensated for by the big ol' tires. But a black OBXT was calling my name for a looong time. Very cool car. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hmm- maybe time to change my order- my info was based on what I had gleaned from the need-desire site and from Nasicock.

[quote name='jedimaster']Hmm- maybe time to change my order- my info was based on what I had gleaned from the need-desire site and from Nasicock.[/quote] From GT to OBXT, or the reverse? I did some more digging, btw, and the OBXT has smaller brakes than the LGT, and weighs 60 more pounds. I thought there might be some more features that justified the extra kilobuck, like maybe the dual-zone climate or something, but I couldn't find anything. Kevin

I just came back from the dealer and drove the LLBean to get a flavor for the leather interior and dbl sunroof. The leather seats and the whole interior are very very nice (although I nor the salesman cared much for the wood trim, but that is not on the GT anyway), great fit and finish, quality materials all around and I love how quiet the doors close. But the best thing of all is that oh so sweet humongo double sunroof...brings the sky right down in the car. The old dbl roof seemed to bias the rear seat where this new huge single opening favors the front seats making it convertible-like. The automatic does have the normal and sport mode by just dragging the lever to the left without bumping the + or -. Shifts did come quicker in sport mode. Once you bump the lever it stays in manual mode. I didn't get much time in manual mode but downshifts were swift, more so than the upshifts. I'd like to have had more leg and foot room in the rear (I'm 6') but the front had more than ample legroom so the seats could comfortably be moved forward. Can't think of anything else right now, I'm still in awe over that dbl sunroof. Limited trim for me. :D

Hey Sub-attraction, were you bothered by the pop-up section at the front of the sunroof? Also, how was the suspension tuning on the Bean Outback? No, that XT still isn't far from my mind... Kevin

[quote name='Sub-attraction']I just posted a sunroof response @ [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?p=12510#12510[/url] While my test drive didn't really encounter many curvy roads, it did feel composed at all times, not much body roll, near non-existant nose dive on braking etc.[/quote] You, sir, have complicated my life immensely. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']The OBXT is a compelling ride, to be sure. I still wonder why it's $1,000 more than the GT wagon. Can't just be the power seats... I was thinking long and hard about one, until I heard from someone who said that the driving dynamics of the USDM suspension tune wouldn't satisfy the performance-oriented side of me.[/quote] I knew you would change your mind... :wink:

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

My heart still says silver GT wagon, no leather or sunroof, no Outback XT. My kickboxing wife says no leather, which means no sunroof automatically. She's ambivalent about the Outback thing, since her driving is never anything more than 2 or 3/10ths, so she's leaving that one up to me. My order for a silver GT wagon, with compass/mirror, cargo net and tray, and subwoofer is going in. I can't get past those ridiculous pink dots on the metal pedal set. Once I reach the point of no return, it will all get easier. :lol: Kevin

Sounds like me, but over colors. :lol: Basically got my options picked, and yes they include those pedals. I've had enough of the rubber pedal covers like that in my current model.

[quote name='SUBE555']Sounds like me, but over colors. :lol: Basically got my options picked, and yes they include those pedals. I've had enough of the rubber pedal covers like that in my current model.[/quote] :lol: If they were black and generic, like the WRX, I'd be for it. Kevin

There are the WRX pedals which can be had for I think $50 through Exeter. A bit more sedate, but what the heck, then I have the right to wear that STi hat! :D [img]http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/photos/wrxpedal.jpg[/img]

[quote name='SUBE555']There are the WRX pedals which can be had for I think $50 through Exeter. A bit more sedate, but what the heck, then I have the right to wear that STi hat! :D [img]http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/photos/wrxpedal.jpg[/img][/quote] Hmmm...wonder if those fit the Legacy. Then again, I never miss metal pedals when I'm not driving my WRX, so who knows? :lol: Kevin

The Outback will feel composed and sporty right off the bat, that is certain. Brake dive, squat, and body roll will be minimal - this is a trait shared throughout the Legacy lineup, it's due to a large refresh of the suspension design and geometry, not due to "lets just whack some kidney-busting dampers and springs on" that some <cough>nissan</cough> companies resort to on occasion. That said, because it is so well composed, you'll find yourself going a bit faster and a bit faster until you've actually sussed out the limits of the car, and at that point you'll wonder why you didn't get the GT Legacy because it does handle the curves that much better. Smaller brakes = 16" snow tire ability. Valuable cost savings for most owners. We were pulling things apart yesterday while welding a bung on the exhaust for the a/f measurements. As Ross put it: "Damn, Subaru did everything an good aftermarket tuner would do" Cheers, Paul Hansen

So far: Intake/pod air filter. Subcom piggy-back. Boost actuator. Coming up: center pipe, down-pipe with sport cat, mufflers. This is probably the easiest area to get gains from, Subaru did a scary-good job on the usual suspects. Results so far: the subcom is working, but we've got some cold-start problems. Boost is a bit light down low yet lasts longer up high with the 7500rpm redline starting to reach relevance. I don't think I could explain how short and narrow a section of a road we reached 100mph on last night, it's quite quick. Now that we can accurately read a/f ratios, was able to fine tune the car quite a bit, quite smooth and responsive. But there is a ways to go with the computer tune, and we want to get some more data back to see how much of the changes are actually sticking vs. the stock ecu compensating - it's a rather smart unit. BTW, got precisely 28mpg on a long trip through the mountains and back (557km, 55.7 litres of fuel used.) Due to traffic, no real hard driving involved, though an occasional squirt here and there, but that's likely the real world return for commuters (if they had a 2.0 litre...). Cheers, Paul Hansen

Looks like Exeter doesn't like their images being shown with their watermark= good advertising. *shrug* Things that will interest me most will be exhaust from AVO. I just hope it can be comparable in cost to some of the better systems already available for the WRX, but given the differences in price required with extra muffler/piping. I won't be putting one on til next year, but just hope they will keep that in perspective, not the Zero Sports, etc. type of pricing. Hmm, almost sounds like the aftermarket should do more mfg in the USDM to keep costs lower. :mrgreen:

Archived