LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket parts voiding warranties?

zenfamily

I've seen that adding any type of aftermarket part will void the warranty (or at least coverage for parts that are affected). It has been my understanding that since the late 90's, manufacturers couldn't legally void warranties without proving that particular aftermarket parts could damage the vehicle.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but a reasonable explanation would be good to hear.

The dealers have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem in question like a boost controler set too high would cause a a turbo problem. The law stating that the dealers had to prove the cause was the parts(s) in question came about because dealers said things like your aftermarket suspention and different ride hight is the reason your sterio is maulfunctioning and the warranty is voided on it.

Most things like Exhaust and intake will not void a warranty. Boost Controllers and Fuel Computers probly will.

I am not clear yet as to the ECU remembering if it has been flashed. The audi's have a counter internally. The Eclipse's do not. I would believe that would be a checked item if something poertrain/Engine wise is going wrong.

Suspention, brakes, cat-back exaust, suspention, wheels and tires, body kits, and interior cosmetic parts only void the warrenties on the parts that are replaced. Access Port claims that their product is not detectable by Subaru.Sound systems are borderline because they can be done as long as you don't splice into the harness.

Hope this helps you guys out.

my dad is an independant wholesaler and hes actually friends with the guy (hes known him for like 20 years). but i dont know if thats gonna make a big difference, hes kinda a forigner (but i sure cant tell where from) and is clueless about car mods. but i figure thats my best shot? thats the only subi dealership thats kinda close to my house anyway

So a blow off valve would not void the warranty?
I'm going to say yes it will. Blowing off metered air is bad. The car will instantly run rich for a moment after it blows off. It can melt your cat and raise EGT's and possibly blow the motor.

Thats a worst case scenario but BOV's do make your car run worse. If you do put it on, at least get a Catless uppipe before you install it.

I'd like to know if reflashes are detectable by the dealer.

ive seen threads in other forums about dealers VOIDING warranty for ANYTHING and its up to you to fight it.

so they can refuse to warrant a part because of anything, leaving you w/o a car and up to you to take it to court and use the Magnussen Warranty act thingy then.

BUT this isnt the case for everyone, just be cool with the service managers :)

so what mods do you have to have before you install BOV in order to run "safe"

Get a Standalone engine management. AS long as the car is MAF equipped, running a BOV will hurt performance. The ECU uses the maf signal to modify the fuel maps. If your dumping air thats already been metered you will run rich.

You at LEAST need to eliminate the Cat in the Uppipe and preferably the DP too.

Archived