LegacyGT.com

custom exhaust idea...help!

cfdrumr

I just had an idea...

I am going to get either a used CB or get a custom exhaust.

What if you place a single inlet/dual outlet magnaflow where the Y pipe is now and then ran 2.25 or 2.5 to tips on either side? It would only be 1 muffler but tips on both sides as if you had 2. The muffler would act as the Y pipe and split the flow into 2 sides... and opinions? Seems like a relatively cheap solution for an exhaust setup.

I had planned to do that, but my muffler shop guy said there's not enough space. I still think it can be done, but the muffler will have to be angled (rotated) to clear the driveshaft and may hang too low in the center of the car. My resonator scrapes on speed bumps as it is.

I also thought about a "Y" right after the downpipe and then two staggered glasspacks for more clearance. The other issue is running the twin pipes around the rear diff/suspension. I'm using 3" all the way, but with 2.5", it might be easier.

haha...I dont want it quite that loud....

The other day when I was cleaning the tips, I pulled off both mufflers and went for a drive....its just too loud for Los Angeles driving...I will get a ticket in 20 min.

I have contacted 2 local tuner shops (both are quite huge actually) about seeing if they are interested in building such an exhaust and possibly selling it.

I know Harman has their own STi exhaust...

If I dont hear by the middle of this week I am just going to do it myself!

There should be space somewhere in the middle... have you seen how big that resonator is? I think I did see a picture of someone doing that same mod... muffler in the middle and straight pipes out the back... I'd have to do quite a bit of searching to try and find it... time I don't have right now but I think it was done.

I was thinking of doing that same thing.

There should be space somewhere in the middle... have you seen how big that resonator is?

I was just about to mention that. It is big enough to fit a decent sized muffler. In that one spot. However you will have to think about what type of protection that area will need.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I know I payed a little too much but I have bugged the guys that did it so I just went with it. I payed $280 for 2" 11" Magnaflows, tips and labor. It was a fine install...nothing great. Eventually I am going to find a new mid and y and get it all redone.

I dont right now. I actually have to go back to them soon because the tips I wanted they had to get a second from their shop or something (who knows)

I am going to be painting the mid and y so u cant see where it was all cutup and how ugly it is.... haha

;)

I will have my new(to me) custom cans hopefully tomorrow, and probably install them on sunday with my brakes. Pics will be posted once that happens.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Archived