LegacyGT.com

Correct Lug Nut Torque?

outahere

We all live and learn. I finally bought a torque wrench only after stretching a couple wheel studs by over tightening the lug nuts and I couldn't get the lugs off later. For what it cost me to get the studs replaced I could have easily purchased a torque wrench. I had never had an issue with that in 30 years.
It is still ugly.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you all use impact sockets to torque to spec, or do you just use a regular socket? Today, I tried using the 19mm, 1/2inch drive deep impact socket with the torque wrench, but it definitely didn't want to seat onto the stock lugs properly. I gave up after a few tries after allowing the socket to slip and shave a bit off of a the lug :hide:

Do you all use impact sockets to torque to spec, or do you just use a regular socket? Today, I tried using the 19mm, 1/2inch drive deep impact socket with the torque wrench, but it definitely didn't want to seat onto the stock lugs properly. I gave up after a few tries after allowing the socket to slip and shave a bit off of a the lug :hide:

I've used both (with a torque wrench) with no problems. Something else is going on. Is it slipping off of every lug? Maybe the impact socket wall is too thick preventing it from clearing the lug and the wheel?

If it's not seating properly, you might be galling the surface of the nut. Then need a hammer to get the thing off ( the socket, that is) . Get a socket that fits.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

If it's not seating properly, you might be galling the surface of the nut. Then need a hammer to get the thing off ( the socket, that is) . Get a socket that fits.

Yes thats exactly what it what, just got a regular socket and it works fine. Didn't know you had to watch out for the thickness of a deep impact socket.

Yes thats exactly what it what, just got a regular socket and it works fine. Didn't know you had to watch out for the thickness of a deep impact socket.

Yeah, they sell thin-walled impact sockets for this. I noticed how beat up the lugs were after using an impact gun to get the lugs off one time and went back to a breaker bar ever since. They do sell sockets with protective inserts, but I decided that a breaker bar/torque wrench was the best way to go.

• 11 months later...

Archived