LegacyGT.com

Trading in or selling a slightly modded car?

So the wife is quitting her full-time job to go back to school and finish her degree and work part-time, which means the household income will be significantly less for the next year or two. Unfortunately this combined with high gas prices has me pondering selling my LGT. I'm currently at Stage II with only the first cat gutted in the stock DP and an aftermarket Turbo XS UP. I am still running the EGT in the new UP and in the stock DP. No capacitors. I guess my question is whether I can reflash back to stock with the AP, and either sell the car privately and get a clean smog with the first cat gutted in the DP and the aftermarket UP?...or trading it in to a dealer or selling it to a place like Carmax without them raising a red flag on the missing cat in the DP?

Yep, I made a point of only modding my Leg to an easily reversible state, and kept the stock suspension, DP and intercooler in the garage to swap back on when it's time to trade.

Stock, you'll have much less issues selling the car to anyone, dealerships included. You'll also get much higher value for your parts, and assuming you bought fairly mainstream stuff you'll have no problem selling them on here for 50 cents on the dollar or more in most cases.

I'm speaking as someone who has sold both stock and highly modded cars on EBay.

I'll also 2nd Carmax, they pretty much will offer you the current Manheim auction pricing on the spot, and are fairly low pressure about it. I'd at minimum go there first to get an initial offer, then use that as a negotiating tool at other dealerships if you're trading in. Also, educate yourself on sales tax. You may be able to sell a used car to a private party or a 3rd party dealership and apply that sale cost to the new car you're buying to reduce the sales tax hit, even though you didn't trade at that dealer. Usually there is something like a 30 day window to do this.

Well you have a gutted downpipe and like you said its stock, so you wont be able to reflash then switch back since you dont have a dp to change out. Unless you want to reflash but keep the codes for the gutted downpipe turned off. Or you could just buy a stock downpipe/cat and replace that. You could try selling it on modifiedcartrader.com and see if any kids on there want a nice fast car.

Yep, I made a point of only modding my Leg to an easily reversible state, and kept the stock suspension, DP and intercooler in the garage to swap back on when it's time to trade.

Stock, you'll have much less issues selling the car to anyone, dealerships included. You'll also get much higher value for your parts, and assuming you bought fairly mainstream stuff you'll have no problem selling them on here for 50 cents on the dollar or more in most cases.

I'm speaking as someone who has sold both stock and highly modded cars on EBay.

I'll also 2nd Carmax, they pretty much will offer you the current Manheim auction pricing on the spot, and are fairly low pressure about it. I'd at minimum go there first to get an initial offer, then use that as a negotiating tool at other dealerships if you're trading in. Also, educate yourself on sales tax. You may be able to sell a used car to a private party or a 3rd party dealership and apply that sale cost to the new car you're buying to reduce the sales tax hit, even though you didn't trade at that dealer. Usually there is something like a 30 day window to do this.

I am leaning towards Carmax since that is where I actually bought the car there roughly a year and a half ago. If I have to I will search out and pickup a stock DP with both cats still in place. I just know that putting my UP in was a huge pain in the ass and something that my time and labor to take it back out and put the stock one back in is worth more than the $130 I paid for it. I'd prefer to let it go with the car.

If you want to keep/sell the parts I'd take them off, but if you don't want to mess with anything most car dealerships are stupid (I sold cars for Honda/Chevy/Ford). As long as it looks stock and sounds semi-stock they won't know. But having aftermarket parts that mess with the engine will hurt you. If you are going to trade in your car go in the middle of the week, in the afternoon if possible, near the end of the month. You'll be amazed how much of a difference that makes. At least is did at our dealership...bunch of POS bastards...was that out loud?

The biggest question would be if the missing first cat will throw a CEL once I flash back to stock. It sounds like from what I'm hearing it will. If not, then I'll trade it in as it is.

It is unfortunate that I may have to get rid of my LGT but I'm the one who took the amount I was upside down in my last car and rolled it into this loan. That made for a hefty monthly payment which was okay for the first couple of years, but now with the wife going back to school and working part-time, high gas prices, etc., my conscience cringes at amount I'm paying monthly to drive it.

Yes, when i gutted my dp i didnt have time to tune the car that night. I drove it the next day and it threw codes, so the answer is yes, the car will throw codes reflashed to stock with a gutted dp. It may take a day or so to throw the code but it will.

Yes, when i gutted my dp i didnt have time to tune the car that night. I drove it the next day and it threw codes, so the answer is yes, the car will throw codes reflashed to stock with a gutted dp. It may take a day or so to throw the code but it will.

Was that with both cats gutted in the DP or did you only gut the first cat?

The car I traded in to Carmax for my LGT was lightly modded, they knew it, and they still took it. It had a Stage 2 clutch, lightened flywheel, slotted rotors, cold air intake, etc. Now of course I'm about a 1000% sure that they wholesaled it off to someone else, but they still gave me good money for it compared to what other dealers were offering.

You are making this overly difficult.

Post here get the stock parts you need -> http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Lesson to everyone else...keep your stock parts.

LOL the downpipe he has is stock, just gutted. And to answer your question i did the dp first so it will throw codes with just the dp gutted.

I gutted the dp, drove for a day or 2, tuned the car/datalogged. Then about 2 weeks later i gutted the up pipe and then retuned the car.

Are you getting rid or the LGT to have one less car or to trade in on a more fuel efficient car? If you are trading in I would do the math first. Unless you drive a lot it usually doesn't make economic sense to trade in for better fuel economy. The trade in vs. private sale price difference alone will buy a lot of gas.

Are you getting rid or the LGT to have one less car or to trade in on a more fuel efficient car? If you are trading in I would do the math first. Unless you drive a lot it usually doesn't make economic sense to trade in for better fuel economy. The trade in vs. private sale price difference alone will buy a lot of gas.

I will probably go to Carmax for an estimate, but try to sell privately based on that. I just hate dealing with the smog, paperwork, etc. Much easier to just let the dealer do it. Getting rid of it not really for fuel economy, just lowering my payment altogether. I bought the car for $19,995 with 26k miles on it about a year and a half ago. But ended up having to roll the $4,500 I was upside down in my last car into this loan. My LGT car payment compared to my old one was only $30 more a month so it was no bigee at the time. Now with increased prices on everything else around me, and the short distance I drive the car daily to commute in, the wife going back to part-time work and school, I can't see myself continuing to pay a $450 car payment each month and feel good about it. Add insurance and gas on that and I pay close to $800 a month. Aiming to lower that amount by $200-300.

The car I traded in to Carmax for my LGT was lightly modded, they knew it, and they still took it. It had a Stage 2 clutch, lightened flywheel, slotted rotors, cold air intake, etc. Now of course I'm about a 1000% sure that they wholesaled it off to someone else, but they still gave me good money for it compared to what other dealers were offering.

I am planning on modding my N/A a bit until I pay it off in about 4 yrs. CAI, exhaust, and lightened pulley are in the near future. Should be very easy to reverse the mods and make the car stock again. Would it be easier to trade in with or without the minor mods.? Would they worry much about exterior mods? Cleared headlights, painted grille, aftermarket spoiler, etc.

uhh, have you ever thought of trying to offer it for sale on one of the many subaru web sites? like this one perhaps? seems like you would have plenty of people who would know what you have and what it is worth so you could get reasonable $$ for it.

uhh, have you ever thought of trying to offer it for sale on one of the many subaru web sites? like this one perhaps? seems like you would have plenty of people who would know what you have and what it is worth so you could get reasonable $$ for it.

Not sure if I want to offload this car to someone on here. To make a long story short, on purchasing the car, the exterior was perfect, the interior not so perfect. It had a small tear in the back seat, multiple wear marks around the drivers area and console where it appeared someone with a lot of dangling jewelry rubbed up against things and made small scratches or wore interior paint off in some spots. Even some stains deep beneath the back seat looked like somebody spilled coffee in it. I have done a pretty good job of cleaning things up. Carefully repainted some interior areas, repaired the tear in the back seat, shampooed the carpet. I am a perfectionist though and notice every little blemish on the car. But, for someone on here who is a true LGT enthusiast and looking for a clean car, I'm pretty sure there are many others out there with interior in better shape. I'm not saying mine is trashed by any means, but if someone was a perfectionist like me, I would look for others with interiors that look less worn.

Here is basically what it is. 2005.5 LGT Regal Blue 5EAT with 49,xxx miles. Mods include Accessport V2 loaded with Rallitek Protune Stage I and II maps, Turbo XS flex uppipe, stock downpipe with only the first cat gutted, Rallitek 5EAT shift bushing, 18-inch Black Krimson K6 wheels with Khumo Ecsta tires. I might be aiming high but I am hoping to get $17,000 out of it. I am thinking I could at least get $16,000-$16,500 on trade in. Give me a couple of weeks to plan things out and I just may throw it up in the marketplace here.

Archived