LegacyGT.com

Wide tires and stock suspension

driggity

Well with the mild winter we've had here its looking like I may be able to go to summer wheels and tires soon. I know that theres room for some wide tires under the fenders but I was wondering who has actually tried this with the stock suspension. I know the some 255's were put on the Mach V wagon but it doesn't sound like any driving was done on that setup. I'm worried that things will start rubbing once the car starts leaning. I'll eventually be upgrading the suspension but I'm not sure when as I want to see what other options come out for these cars.

I was thinking of 245/40 17s and the wheels I'm looking at now are 17x8 +45. Should be plenty of clearance on the strut side, but I'm not sure about on the fender side although it shouldn't be worse than the 18x8.5 +51s that were tried.

Thanks.

it would work, since I already ran that setup this past fall (18x8 @+51mm offset on a set of Toyo T1-S 255/35/18 on a lowered GT using Zeal V6 Coilovers). Dan at MachV used my rim and tire for that fitment. He didnt drive it, because I only gave him 1 rim to test fit on his GT with stock suspension. I run Zeal Coilovers with a smaller spring perch, so I know the rim and tire would clear on my car since I put over 3,000 miles using that set up without any issues at all.

I posted a FAQ on rim widths, offsets and tire sizing of what works on the GT. I have done plenty of test fitments so hopefully that you guys dont have to be the test subject on buying rims that are not the right size and stuff and have tire rubbing issues.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived