LegacyGT.com

Tourist help from MA Locals

Abandonhope16

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Boston.com is pretty relaible for restaurants. The intitial reviews are from the newspaper, I use it myself. The user reviews are scattered and mixed, some are nothing more than ranting and raving.

On the other side, the A&E section will tell you what entertainment is in town at what club. Expensive to cheap.

Made it back home. And what the hell, three days of straight rain. Since a lot of the things we wanted to do were outside and involved walking, we missed out on some things. Weather was nice when we were in Salem, but the rain started as soon as we woke up there and didnt stop until we were above the clouds on the flight back. Came across some really friendly people there too. We pretty much mastered the subway, though we still were a little confused by the green line; didnt really understand the two car trains that were packed. Though the subway leaves a little too be desired as it looks like nothing has been updated since it was built, thought its still a lot cheaper than our system here. We got to walk around the North End and pick up a coffee and pastry from Mike's. All in all a good trip, we'll probably have to make our way back to make up for the stuff that we missed out on b/c of the weather.

Maybe we got lucky; but anyone we asked for directions was really nice. And there were a couple times we accidently cut people off in crowded areas like the subway, we apologized and the person would acknowledge with something like "no problem". You cut someone off here and if you are lucky, you'll just get an evil look from someone.

Our plans got really screwed up with the rain. But we did go to Legal seafood in Cambridge, since it was a building over from our hotel. We also went to Atlantic Fish Co. which we both really liked. I've never had whole-bellied fried clams, around here we only have strips; but they were so good. We had plans to check out the stuff on Boylston after dinner since it was on the same street. However I mis-judged which stop we needed to get off at on the way to dinner; as I figured the Boylston station was the closest, not realizing how long that street was and that we were at the opposite end, which meant we walked about 1-2 miles in the rain. So after dinner, we didn't feel much like going out in downtown and settled for something a little closer and within walking distance in Cambridge. So, we spent an evening at Tommy Doyles (I think its in Kendall Square or something like that). Not a bad little place, with what seemed to be many locals. Made for some good people watching and was actually pretty relaxing.

Had some beahs with the townies? Good Red Sawx talk, no one likes the Broons any more and the Patseys had a bye week.

'course Kendall Square is MIT country and you could have been talking about Theoretical Physics and Genetic Engineering.

Cheers!

Friendly people? You sure you made it to Boston MA, not Boston Virginia?
We've had Germans, Austrians, Albanians, English, and three guys from Detroit staying in an apartment in the last three months.

They have all commented on how friendly the people have been. They say that if they walk downtown and pause to look at a street sign, someone will walk up and ask them if they need help.

Guess that's one reason why 18 million tourists visit Boston each year.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

regarding friendliness ... from reading many impressions online, I feel that New England is a great place to visit, but not to move to. We're great for basic advice and common courtesy, but don't try to befriend us and talk about personal life or you'll get a weird look.

granted, I've lived in MA/NH all my life so I have no basis for personal comparison..

regarding friendliness ... from reading many impressions online, I feel that New England is a great place to visit, but not to move to. We're great for basic advice and common courtesy, but don't try to befriend us and talk about personal life or you'll get a weird look.

granted, I've lived in MA/NH all my life so I have no basis for personal comparison..

New Englanders regard gratuitous friendliness with suspicion, because to us it is an invasion of privacy. It is seen as pro-forma friendliness without any substance. So, we talk about the weather.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Overall it was a pretty good trip. As you know that weekend, it starting raining Friday morning and didnt stop until after we left. Atleast it was dry in Salem; which was fun to get do the touristy stuff and get a history lesson from the tours we did. Unfortunately we didnt make it out much once in Boston as the weather was crap. We did do the brewery tour, which was pretty cool. We got to sample a beer that is not in national production, it had a sour flavor b/c they used the same type of bacteria as yogurt; really weird. We walked around little Italy, stopped in a small sandwich shop and had a nice pastrami sandwich. We also went to Mikes Pastries for a coffee and dessert. I missed out on the USS Constitution, which I really wanted to do but the weather was miserable. But we ate well and had a pretty fun time.

Archived